Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedsmakemecrazy

Mystery Grass - Need ID

weedsmakemecrazy
16 years ago

So this is my first year dabbling in ornamental grasses. I am not a very organized gardener, so I thought this patch was something I planted - however, the way it is spreading, it started to look nothing like anything I purchased. From my research, I think I have the very invasive yellow nutsedge? Can anyone take a look at these pics and let me know if this is the awful truth?!

Thanks

Kathy

let me know if you can't open the pics - this is my first time trying to add pics

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z132/kathycroy/100_0868.jpg

[IMG]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z132/kathycroy/100_0869.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• donn_
    16 years ago

You got it. Yellow Nutsedge. The giveaway, other than the flower, is the triangular flower stem.

I've got it as well, and I pull up at least a thousand new shoots every year in just a small area.

I also have a 24" pot full of it, because I really like the look of the plant. It really doesn't spread by seed much, but the little 'nuts' on the roots are deadly! You can't get them all when pulling the plant, and one of those nuts will turn into a plant in short order. Fortunately, it's easy to ID and easy to pull.

• weedsmakemecrazy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

funny you said you kept some - the reason I never pulled it is that I really liked the look and texture. If you are sure that it won't spread from a pot, I might do the same. It would look nice next to the Lemon Grass that I have in a pot on the deck. You're sure it won't spread from that big seedhead?
    Looks like I have some weed pulling to do tomorrow! Now I will admit that I transplanted two patches of it when I thought it was something I planted...whoops!

• donn_
    16 years ago

It can self-seed, but conditions need to be perfect. I've seen no incidence of it in my zone, so it isn't likely in yours.

That said, I deadhead my potted plants, just to be sure. The flower heads get raggedy looking after the summer anyway.

• weedsmakemecrazy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW Donn - today was nutsedge removal day and i have never seen such a mat of white roots under there! I will always have this weed I fear - any suggestions on getting rid of it? I tried to comb through the soil, but you are right, I will never get all those white thready things out! How in the heck did I get this terrible thing? I was going to keep some in a pot, but trying to remove all that stuff kind of got me aggravated at the plant so I put it all in the lawn bags! ha

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I have this as well. Had no idea what it was.
    I just keep mowing it over and hoping it won't
    come back. I hate to round-up a spot in the grass
    just to kill one weed.

mary
    z 5b KS

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

There is a product called IMAGE that will kill nutsedge in your lawn. I've used it successfully and so have my folks. You must follow the instructions on the label exactly, though, or you could harm your desirable lawn grass. It is safe to use around most ornamentals, which means you can apply it to nutsedge in your flower beds. However, there are some ornamentals that this product will kill - those plants which can be harmed are listed on the label, so if you use this product make sure to read and follow the directions to the letter.

To be honest, I don't think nutsedge is all that bad. My bugger is Bahia grass! Now there is a grass that'd survive a nuclear explosion. If anyone knows how to get rid of that stuff permanently, please do tell.

Renee

Sponsored
More Discussions