Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Severe drought & flopped N. Sea Oats

Posted by withalilhelp Z5 Cent. In. (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 14:08

My area has been in a drought since early to mid spring and a severe drought for about the last two months.I hate it and had hopes for some real "leaping" from some plants that were ready. We have a half-dozen different kinds of mature grasses in which all but one I have kept beautiful, despite. We have rows of N. Sea Oats down the east and west side of a fenced-in part of lawn, spaced about 6ft. We have had two short rains over the stretch that have seemed to permanently flopped (for this season) the usually strong erect form.I would like to ask for ideas on some first-aid tactics. East gets early to late morn. sun, west is mostly shaded and still okay except two that get afternoon sun and they are the most wind protected of all. I love my grasses and this just adds to the worst year for weather this middle-aged man has seen.I hope fall is better. Thanks ahead for any help.Z5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Severe drought & flopped N. Sea Oats

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 9:20

There isn't much first aid, other than tying them up after the fact. According to Traci DiSabato-Aust, author of The Well Tended Perennial Garden, this resembles a lynching.

Consider growing them through supports which are in place before they start growing. Next year, cut some properly sized and shaped pieces of remesh, and anchor it over the plants with rebar. They'll grow up through the remesh, and hide it with their foliage, while obtaining the needed support.

I have Chasmanthium growing in every sun condition from full sun to mostly shade, and all of them need support except those under thick-canopied trees. They seem to benefit from the protection from soaking rains.

o
RE: Severe drought & flopped N. Sea Oats

Great advice donn. I will prepare for next year. Also your personal settings fit perfect. It is nice to know why on these things, rather than guessing. Next year they're going to look great. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here