Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
arundo versicolor vs variegata

Posted by GREENGUY Zone 5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 14:21

I am looking for a variegated arundo and came across these two names. I figured they were the same but then I saw some places sell both types. Does anyone grow both? Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? I also need someone to reccomend a good online source for both as no one near me sells either and i will probably try both unless someone here tell me why not to.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: arundo versicolor vs variegata

I'm pretty sure it's the same plant! Just sold under these two names. Looking in Rick Darke's book 'The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses' It's listed as the same!
Have a fun time growing this beautiful giant!
Best Regards,
Anthony in TN.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 12:13

This is what was said on floridata:
Striped giant reed (A. donax var. versicolor, also known as cv. 'Variegata', has leaves with bold white stripes, and is a smaller plant, to 8 ft (2.4 m) tall. The cultivar, 'Macrophylla' has larger leaves, to 3 in (7.6 cm) wide, that are grayish or bluish green.

o

thanks but it is really odd that joy creek and other list both - joy even has two different pictures.

do you grow either? Macrophylla sounds interesting.

can anyone reccomend a good online source for them?

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 23:02

I just bought the common type this year. If it survives the winter I may look into the different cultivars. Or I might try and get the different species like Arundo formosana, which is supposedly hardier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here