Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miscanthus sinensis adagio- how to grow fast?

Posted by laurava VA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 14:30

Hi- we planted a few miscanthus adagio's in mid May - they were smal starter plnts- just the 3" small plants.. all the other ornamentals have grown a bit but these are stuck and don't seem to be growing that fast. they are in full sun- live in Norther Virginia- so it's very hot right now but I read they are drought tolerant (we try to water in evenings)..

any help to get these growing faster would be appreciated- thanks, Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miscanthus sinensis adagio- how to grow fast?

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 21:07

When I buy a new plant, I usually get a small one. If figure that I save a lot of money instantly, and it should adapt to its new environment better.

I'd wait until next year to see what it is all about. Don't try to give it growth hormones as it will only become weaker.

o

this is my experience with Adagio...first year planted small pots, they grew but not wildly, and did not bloom...second year, much larger, they grew to about half their full size and bloomed...third year, full sized app 3' x 3' w/o blooms and 4.5'-5' with blooms.....

o

The old saying about perennials seems to apply well to most ornamental grasses -- "first year sleeps, second year creeps, third year leaps."

My Adagio, however, came close to "leaping" the first year. I bought it in a 5-gallon pot at Home Depot for something like $5. It was very pot-bound, so I cut it in two with a shovel. Both of the divisions took off the first year and easily tripled in size. I moved one of the divisions this spring and it started out slowly but has taken off during the hot summer weather.

Other miscanthus varieties I have tried have not grown so fast. My "Morning Light" was also bought in a fairly large pot 3 or 5 gallon, but didn't get as large as my Adagio divisions. I moved it as well this spring and it has done well in a sunnier location.

I also have several M. "Little Kitten" grasses that have been very slow to establish. They are typically the last grass in my garden to start growing in spring. However, they have picked up steam in the hot weather as well. They are perhaps the most dwarf variety of Miscanthus, so that probably explains the slow growth.

o

hello.

The adagio is a slow growing perennial.

Adagio is an italian musical term meaning slowly and gracefully, reffering to how the grass grows and moves.

The 3 gallon adagio was probably an older perennial that has had time to grow its root structure.

-perennial quality-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here