Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Blue Fescue self sow a mutant strain?

Posted by wherewerewe z7 NC Triad (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 14:50

Hello all...

I hope someone is able to help me figure this one out. I have sown quite a few clumps of Blue Fescue grass from commercial seed packs within the last 2 years - funny thing is, I have noticed several GREEN grasses that are of a similar size to the BF, but are distinctly different...these green strains are more vertical, they have thicker/stronger blades and develop somewhat round seed pod clusters midway up the blades rather than the top as BF does. I don't know if common Blue Fescue grass has a tendency to do such a thing or perhaps I am dealing with a local native grass. What is convincing to me is that the only places I have seen these peculiar green grass clumps have been in the close proximity of my Blue Fescue grasses. (scratching head)

I don't know how to post pictures on here so I'll be glad to email them to you if you'd be interested in trying to ID this green ornamental? grass.

Thanks in advance =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Blue Fescue self sow a mutant strain?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 18:42

It sounds like you have some sort of Carex volunteer, likely an annual. I have at least 3 different kinds which show up in my garden. If they're in a place where I like them, I leave them, and some, I transplant when very young. If you want to at least reduce the self-sowing, trim them back before the seeds can ripen. They'll frequently grow new foliage, but seldom survive winter.

Blue Fescue self-sows readily in my garden, and some of them are bluer or greener than the parents. I do the same as the volunteer Carex. If I like the color, I keep it, either where they started, or I move them, sometimes to pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here