Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Karley Rose' question

Posted by krikit Z7 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 14:55

I have Karley Rose OG and love the look - but it seems to flop with the slightest wind or rain. Is that typical, or due to the humidity here in East TN? I'd like to have an OG that doesn't get too large, doesn't have to be divided, and is non-invasive. Any recommendations? This would be a full sun location, in Z7 East TN and I am open to different 'looks' just don't want anything huge - I like the size of Karley Rose but don't like the flopping of the foliage.

Thanks!
Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Karley Rose' question

My KR's do that as well, but it seems to be lessening as they get older. It has to do with the thinness of the bloom stalk in relation to the size of the bloom. My younger ones do it when there's a good rain to soak the blooms, or a good wind to blow them down. During quiet and dry weather, no problems..they perk right up.

"I'd like to have an OG that doesn't get too large, doesn't have to be divided, and is non-invasive."

This is tough. A very slow grower like Miscanthus sinensis 'Gold Bar' might work, but even though it takes years to reach 4', it will still have to be divided eventually.

o

Frances, perhaps you would like pennisetum alopecuroides "moudry'. The foliage is only about20-24" high, and it gets really neat blackish fuzzy plumes, which is definitely 'different'!

o

'Moudry' self-seeds furiously in my climate. It even sprouts itself in the lawn. I got rid of my established plants, but I'm still pulling up volunteers.

o

This one needs good drainage , does not like wet feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here