Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

Growing from seed? Finding C. brachytricha seeds

coloradobird
17 years ago

I would like to grow Calamagrostis brachytricha in a container next year and was thinking I would start some from seed. But I can't find a source. I looked up some of the companies listed in the back of Darke's book, but they don't seem to carry these. If anyone knows a source, please let me know.

Others: I ordered Lagurus Ovatus seeds on E-Bay. Seedman has Schizachyrium scoparium 'Blaze,' which I'd like to try (if I can figure out where to put some in my yard!). He also has Pennisetum orientale, which I might try in a container. Oh, and I'm going to grow some Chasmanthium latifolium from my own plant.

When do I sow my seeds? I know the Lagurus Ovatus shouldn't be started until early spring, but what about the others? Should I winter sow them?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (15)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Jelitto sells C. brachytricha.

You also could try listing a want on this forum's exchange, and on the big seed exchange.

None of the seeds you mention require cold stratification to germinate. You can start them in very early spring, outdoors, using winter sowing techniques to protect them from critters and weather.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Donn. Well, it seems easier and cheaper to buy a small C. brachytricka than to order seed from overseas. I might try listing on the exchange, but I don't have much to offer in return, unfortunately. I will have some Chasmanthium latifolium seeds later on.

Have you tried growing Rhynchelytrum repens? I see Seedman has it, and Darke says it makes a good container plant. It has pretty pink flowers. Maybe I'll try it,too (I can see my containers will all be full of grass next year!).

• donn_
    17 years ago

Jelitto ships from Louisville, KY. They're one of the best seed vendors in the world.

I haven't grown R. repens. I don't have a lot of space or time for annuals, and grow very few. The only annual grasses I grew this year were Bunny Tails and 'Purple Majesty.'

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

colorado
    email me ...
    A.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn, oops, I must've gone into the wrong section--I was looking at seeds with prices in Euros. Thanks for straightening me out on that or I would've written them off forever.

• donn_
    17 years ago

They only list their prices in Euros, but they ship in bulk to Louisville, and orders are filled from there. That way they don't have to deal with phytosanitary paperwork on every little order, and we don't have to pay trans-Atlantic freight.

Another hint. Get the catalog. It's a work of art.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Need another good reason to grow Calamagrostis brachytricha???

In bloom it is just GORGEOUS!!!

• donn_
    17 years ago

I can't wait to see that. I started 4 nice clumps this year. They're up to about 18" and nice and healthy looking. No sign of blooming so far, but I didn't really expect in in their first season.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Achnatherum, that is just beautiful. When was the photo taken? (Is that Russian Sage in front?)

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

CB,
    This grass photographs really well when in bloom. I took that picture last year.
    My C. brachytricha is just setting up to bloom this year.
    And, yes that is a small stringy piece of Russian Sage.
    A.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn, so the grasses don't usually bloom in their first season? Darn. Well I guess I'll have to be patient then. (Thanks, by the way, for recommending Darke's book--it's really great and there are some gorgeous photographs, too.)

A, YES, the grass photographs well! It is so lovely. I can hardly wait. . . (except I WILL be waiting, maybe for two years!!).

• donn_
    17 years ago

Bird..all the annual ornamental grasses bloom in their first year, but for me, only a few perennials have. I've had Pennisetum, and Eragrostis spectabilis bloom in the first year. I can't speak for C. brachytricha yet. It may bloom this fall. It's certainly big enough.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Bird, try sowing your C. brachytricha indoors in about April to get a bit of a head start. When the grass starts to get on the leggy side give it a 'brush cut' and this will encourage it to bulk-up. ( correct words escape me at this time of night).
    Given an earlier start it might just bloom for you in the first year.
    Btw, my plants started blooming today. Gorgeous!

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A, okay I'll try that. I am so looking forward to this grass. . . (especially after seeing your photo!).

• achnatherum
    11 years ago

Coloradobird - Did I actually ever send you seed for this grass??? I'm asking because I am now in the position of looking for seed myself. Didn't bring a plant to the new house & the owners of our last house have 'deleted' many of the gardens :o(

Sponsored
More Discussions