Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgregory_zone6

planting miscanthus

dg
11 years ago

Is it too late to plant Miscanthus Gracillimus now, before winter? The nursery has them in 2 or 3 gallon pots and the plant is about 3' tall. I live in south central Illinois.

Deb

Comments (5)

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was probably a dumb question...oh well.
    Upon reading more about grasses, I probably should wait until the weather warms up, after next spring, to purchase and plant a miscanthus.

Deb

• noki
    11 years ago

They are fine to plant now, and you can even enjoy the inflorences on larger plants. You could buy a Miscanthus in October and just stick it in the ground, and it would probably grow okay in the spring.
    You may have better selection now at nurseries now also. Just water a lot.

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fantastic! I was kind of bummed because I thought I had to wait. Watering is no prob. I've been doing a lot of that for months now ;-I
    Thanks noki!

Deb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

With a warm season grass like Miscanthus, the sooner the better......I wouldn't wait until October. As soon as the seedheads form and soil starts to cool the roots stop growing, so it is much harder to establish one in fall than it is to do so in spring.

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the time I was able to return to the nursery, M. Gracillimus was sold out. So instead I bought and put in Miscanthus Kascade on August 29. The person helping me said Kascade was similar to Gracillimus but smaller, so I went for it. We are expected to get from 4-6" of rain, begining tonight through the weekend. I'm hoping that the rain and warm temps through September will settle it in before the cooler temps arrive.

Fingers crossed,
    Deb

Sponsored
More Discussions