Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-6 ft upright grass

Posted by hostaholic2 MN 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 16:11

I'm new to the OG forum and I 'm hoping you can give me some input. I'm looking at redoing a border and want a tall, upright, clumping grass for the backdrop. I'm thinking of sorghastrum, Blue Hills, but am certainly open to suggestions. Any pros, cons etc. to that grass or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated. Also, I'm in zone 4. Can I still plant this summer/early fall or should I wait till spring? Thanks for any input you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-6 ft upright grass

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 16:34

I'm not familiar with 'Blue Hills,' and can't find any information on it. I've heard of 'Cheyenne,' 'Sioux Blue' and 'Indian Steel' as cultivars of Sorghastrum nutans.

I haven't grown Sorghastrum, but comparing photos of it to Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' shows 'Northwind' to be far more upright in habit, and almost as blue in color as 'Sioux Blue.' I grow 'Northwind' and it's by far the most erect grass I've found.

If you are going to plant a fairly large potted grass, and have at least 6-8 weeks before truly cold weather, you might get away with late summer planting. To be on the safe side, I'd wait for spring.

o

Sorry, my goof I was thinking Sioux Blue, and typing Blue Hill. I like the upright form of Northwind, but have lost them two winters in a row.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 13:56

That's a shame about the 'Northwind.' Bluestem.ca rates it for Z4, but either it's a tenuous Z4, or you're in a cold Z4.

Have you tried Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster?' Foliage is 4' tall, and blooms to 6' and it's very upright. It's rated for Z3.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here