Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Please identify this grass.

pitimpinai
18 years ago

This most striking grass is in the Piet Oudolf's garden in Chicago. I have not had a chance to go get one of his books yet, but am dying to know what this is.

Thank you.

Comments (23)

• donn_
    18 years ago

Here's the grass list for Lurie Garden:

BRIZA MEDIA
    CALAMAGROSTIS ACUTIFL. 'KARL FOERSTER'
    CALAMAGROSTIS BRACHYTRICHA
    CAREX MUSKINGUMENSIS
    CHASMANTIUM LATIFOLIUM
    DESCHAMPSIA 'GOLDSTAUB'
    ERAGROSTIS SPECTABILIS
    HAKONECHLOA MACRA
    MISCANTHUS 'MALEPARTUS'
    MOLINA CAERULEA 'DAUERSTRAHL'
    MOLINA CAERULEA 'MOORFLAMME'
    MOLINA LITORALIS 'TRANSPARENT'
    PANICUM 'SHENANDOAH
    PENNISETUM 'CASSIAN'
    SESLERLIA AUTUMNALIS
    SESLERIA NITIDA
    SORGHASTRUM 'SIOUX BLUE'
    SPOROBOLUS HETEROLEPIS

• donn_
    18 years ago

Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Cassian'

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Donn. It just occured to me to check the Park's website. I have been googling the grass on the list, but still have not come across the one in the photo yet. I have seen a few other plants in the garden that are not listed on the website.

• hayefield
    18 years ago

It looks like Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues' (little bluestem) to me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

I'd agree - with that coloring and erect habit, it is most likely Little Bluestem, an exceptional OG.

• creamgogo
    18 years ago

i hope it is little bluestem, as i just bought one this year and can only hope it turns out this nice!

what is that plant behind it? some kind of ajuga (sp)?

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, all. I hope that's Little Bluestem too, because Bluestone carries it and I want to order them next spring or now and figure out how to overwinter them.

The blue flower is a Salvia.
    There are several different Salvias at the Lurie Garden.

This garden has been most fascinating to watch this year. Each week it looks different. If you have a chance to be in the town where a Piet Oudolf's garden is located, please don't miss it. It is so unique and striking you'll not regret a visit.

Here's a glimpse of it. My photos cannot do justice to the real thing:

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Given that you've posted a plant list for the garden and included in that list is Sorghastrum 'Sioux Blue' I'm going to take an educated guess that this is what we are seeing and not Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues.'

Darke's book describes the former (Blue Indian Grass) as chosen for its "powder blue foliage and erect form...turns yellow in late fall..heat tolerant...free of rust diseases."

Nice grass -- I'll be looking for it near me.

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

I don't think it is Sorghastrum. I have 'Sioux Blue', which is beautiful also (and a very nice blue), but the leaves are quite a bit wider than Schizachyrium. Looks like Schiz. to me, too. Nice pics, pitimpinai, I need to road-trip to Chicago!

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Yes -- since my suggestion about Sorghastum I've been looking at both the Schiz and the Sorg quite a bit am and now inclined to agree with the general view in these posts.

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

I have to put in my opinion, and the grass in the first pic is Schizachyrium scoparium "The Blues". I find this thread hilarious, because more than two people looked at the list, and took a horrible educated guess. I find that troubling and funny at the same time. I think it is time for botany and identification classes near the "educated guess open forum". Sarcastic, I know, but if you have no clue, don't post. Sorghastrum looking like Schizachyrium.......that is a hoot.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I guess we can't all be as brilliant as you, A-man.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

juicylucy, come to Chicago. Millennium Park is right on Michigan Ave. downtown. The Lurie Garden is at the south-east corner of the park at Monroe and Columbus.The "Bean" was unveiled again two days ago, but the bottom will be covered again soon for polishing. The top will be left exposed this time.

Donn, love your rolled eyes. :-)

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

I guess your right Donn, since their are no smoky blue Pennisetums out there, unless you use toxic waste as a amendment for your soil, or you have genetically altered a "Cassian" Pennisetum and it grows upright, erect, and with airy panicles that are not typical of the tight panicles of Pennisetum cultivars. Brilliant, maybe a hasty accusation, but accurate and direct, sure, you nailed it. I don't guess from a list, nor do I compose an educated guess because the name may fit the plants id in my mind. That is what differs from you and me Donn, guesses and accurate identifications.

• donn_
    18 years ago

"That is what differs from you and me Donn, guesses and accurate identifications."

That's just one of many differences.

I don't believe in accurate colors in digital photos, transmitted over the internet, and displayed on a variety of monitors.

I don't spell as poorly as you do. ("I guess your right Donn, since their are no..")

I'm not even close to your level of rudeness.

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

lol, Donn.....Cameras not accurately displaying the grass? Lol, come on Donn. Don't blame the camera! Blame the "educated guess" that you so hapely blurted out. And your answer to the rude remark, ya maybe I am, but I am not afraid to speak my mind, especially remarking on those like yourself that don't have a clue, but you post like you actually know what you are talking about.....oh about the sentence structure and correct spelling thing, thank you for pointing that out. Maybe you should change hobbies, as a human spell checker and grammar enthusiast, not a gardener or a debater for gardening concerns.....Happy gardening...lol

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

I was actually at the Lurie Gardens this past Wednesday and saw this grass. As luck would have it, there was a volunteer tending the plants and I asked her what kind of grass was this. She said Little Bluestem. Anyway, I'm going back on Monday, Labor Day, 'cause I hope to take some pictures of Panicum 'SHENANDOAH'. Its a beauty this time of year. Actually, the entire garden is stunning.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bellarosa, are you looking for these? :-)

{{gwi:867527}}

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Seems to me that conversations like Donn and the A-man's would better be discussed between themselves (and leave the rest of us out of it). Wouldn't you all say?

In other words, gentlemen, please take it outside.

• wherewerewe
    18 years ago

Leftwood,

Agreed, and I may be adding fuel to the fire here BUT I'd have to defend Donn with this one. Speaking one's mind is one thing, but to antagonize & ridicule others for their 'supposed' ignorance of a species of grass is plain childish. Is it worth throwing punches over? I don't know who's right and don't really care but gloating about your expertise on grass (or anything for that matter) is diminished somewhat by the less than stellar grammar that accompanied it, and yes, since I'm no self-righteous grass connoisseur, I'll serve only as the human spellchecker. Life's too short to argue about gardening of all things...but as human nature has it, I rubbernecked myself into this one. Peace & carrots guys.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops, seems that I had problem with posting. Here's another shot of Panicum S. ?? Gorgeous, arenÂt they? I wonder if Panicum v. ÂHeavy Metal or ÂCloud Nine or ÂRotstrahlbusch come close to this one. Bluestone carries these varieties.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Pitimpinai,
    That's beautiful. I wonder what variety that is of switch grass. You know I met Piet Oudolf when he was here in June or July. Nice guy. I wish I had asked him then what variety of switch grass that was, but there were too many people. I hope he comes back to visit. Maybe I'll have luck next time! I did find out that the Monardas were of the variety "Scorpio". Of course, now I can't find them anywhere. Ugh! Maybe next year.

• apprehend
    18 years ago

Hi, my name is Gloria and I am one of those volunteers on Wednesday at the Lurie garden. The first picture is a good one of the Schizachyrium scoparium (skits-ah-KEER-ee-um skoh-PAIR-ee-um)
    or more commonly Little Bluestem. In the latter part of summer all the bluestem sort of splayed out in flat swishes but hopefully next year as its roots deepen and the clumps enlarge it will support itself better. If not it still adds much texture to the garden.
    The picture of the panicum virgatum is 'Shenandoah'.
    What a beautiful grass! I have added it to my own garden this year.
    The head horticulturist sent us pictures with names attached for most of thhe plantings.Hopefully next year they can be added to the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: new plant list