Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Dividing OGs

cfmuehling
18 years ago

Hi all!

Last year I planted a huge new bed with probably 12 different grasses. It's 75' x 20' or so, so I thought I had planned for a lot of room between them. Like many newbies, though, I planted too close together and things have gotten out of hand.

In less than a year, I'm seeing I will need to divide them up.

Do I just wait until they're dormant (late winter/spring), stick a shovel in them and dig them up? Regular grass is so tough to divide I'm worried this is gonna kill me.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (9)

• donn_
    18 years ago

Start another bed, and move some of the grasses instead of dividing them.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ACtually, that's why I wanted to divide them. Most of them are good where they are, they're just huge.

And I already have started another bed of probably equal size on the opposite side of the drive.

Do you think it's easier to dig them up then divide them?!

Christine

• donn_
    18 years ago

Christine, I'd say it's 6 of one. You can hack off a chunk, and transplant it, leaving the rest in place. You can also dig up the whole thing, split it, and transplant.

It's unusual for grasses to require division when they are so young.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought it was unusual, too. I didn't buy unusually big plants, but they're extremely happy where they are, I guess.

I noticed my Miscanthus sinensis Variegatus are absolutely huge, crowding out my (something) 'Indial Steele.' I also have Black Moudry, that is being absolutely crunched. These were all 3-4' apart, but like I said, they're healthy and happy!

I'm glad to hear it's not a big deal to divide them. I figured being grass, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks,
    Christine

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I don't think all grasses divide equally -- Miscanthus clumps can be chopped fairly ruthlessly (not that I ever would!) but Pennesetum Orientale is quite difficult to divide. Moudry may be difficult as well.

I'd divide some, move others and buy new ones for the new bed as well to add yet more diversity!! Don't forget about the thousands of beautiful non-grass perennials that are out there too!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pezhead, have you been spying on me?
    In my new bed, I have Miscanthus 'Morning Light' and Northern Sea Oats so far. I wanted to bring over a Black Moudry for continuity, but get rid of a lot of the Varigatus. I decided the Pennesteum Orientale was pathetic and dug it out last year, so it's safe. [LOL].

I have my eye on some rather neat things, that hopefully will compliment a growing Japanese Maple collection, Crocosmias, Nandinas, Knophofia, iris, Gloriosa Daisies (Cherokee Sunset and Autumn Colors) and then, my red Crape Myrtles! Forgetting about non-grass perennials is kind of a joke 'round here. I've got 'em and spend far too many $100s each year (so far) on them! I'm always amazed when they actually come back!

So I can experiment. I'll wait until Spring to give them the best chance.

Thanks!
    Christine

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

I find no problem dividing my Pennisetums, and especially Moudry gives me no hassle. If enough stolon is left with enough fiborous attached to it with eyes, than you should have no problem. Back to the original question, if the bed was as big as you said, and has been growing for only a year or so, than I would just thin out some of the OG's by digging up just some of the ones that won't hurt the design, if there is any. Its hard to believe that a bed would get soooooo overcrowded in a short amount of time. Yes, I have had grasses like Eragrostis and Panicum that can spot some serious growth, but nothing that I would have to change a bed because of the over-growth.

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I've not yet tried to divide any Pennisetums so it's good to know that you have good success there. I've only read that Orientale is quite difficult.

Christine: I'm not spying on you, I gave that up back in high school. You mentioned that your Orientale was pathetic? Why? I have 3 in the yard and one in particular in a wood-box raised bed in full sun that is tremendous right now. I love this grass. They benefit from being on a little pedestal or mound where they can spill off in their profusion of blooms in the height of summer. Try some large rocks in a formation with soil mounded inside and an Orientale planted there. Boulders and grasses are excellent companions!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Agastacheman, that's encouraging. I have to figure out what those parts are. Stolen and eyes. [LOL]

I am surprised at their happy growth, too. Most were 5 gallon pots to start with, then they just went wild. They've quadrupled in size their first summer and this year have grown even more. They are definitely crowding each other. 3-4' apart just wasn't enough. I did have a design, but it's lost in ... lush-ness?

Pezhead, you may spy anytime. IF you promise to offer advice and suggestions. After all, I'm winging this and it's only my 3rd year gardening! Anyway, the Orientale never got past being spindly with weak, sparce plumes. Spill off their profusion? No such thing here. I had researched and admired their form, but my garden was evidently just not the place for them. It was very sad and disappointing. All three were were not thriving at all. Unlike the others I mentioned!