Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zebra grass blues...

Posted by sjean13 6-7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 17:50

Hi, I have 4 large clumps of zebra grass planted along the front of my house as a substitution for traditional shrubs. However, they have gotten pretty loose in their growth formation and the fronds are hanging low to the ground in the front. I always see them elsewhere and they are always nice and tight clumps standing upright for the most part. Anyone know what may be causing this? thanks for any help! Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zebra grass blues...

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 1:36

Water (rain or irrigation) and/or fertilizer and/or shade.

o

Miscanthus varieties tend to get a little floppier as they get older & bigger.
Zebra grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus') is often mistaken for Porcupine grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus') - same variegation but a much more upright form

Even my mature 'Strictus' is much looser with age. If we have rainy weather when the grass is first flowering it falls right open.

Solution??
Next year divide your grasses - smaller clumps = tighter clumps
or
Based on advice from this site a couple of years ago; loosely tie your grasses up long before they droop. This works really well. And, if you do it early enough you don't see the twine.

o

thanks for the help. I think I'll be moving it next year. I had no idea it did this. Any suggestions on what to put in it's place? something similar, no bigger than the zebra grass? It gets part shade I'd say. Not much morning sun. thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here