Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Fescue grass

Posted by firefightrsflame 8b/So Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 18:05

I have some tiny blue fescue that I planted in the front of my house. They haven't grown much so I don't know if I am caring for them wrong.

I have them on a east wall where they get part sun/part shade.

They're really not tooo blue. Kind of been getting fried from the heat of summer. Redoing our drip line currently, so I don't know how much water to give them.

Any ideas would be wonderful! Thank you- Terra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Fescue grass

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 18:12

When did you plant them?

Blue Fescue is a cool season grass, which can get pretty ratty and even go dormant during the heat of summer.

If they've been in the ground for at least a few months, and have gotten themselves established, I'd suggest cutting them back and keeping them well watered until the weather cools off in the fall.

o

I put them in the ground late spring/early summer.

I wonder if they've gone dormant cause they are kind of more brown with a touch of blue. They are tiny..real tiny.. maybe 8" wide. They don't look like they've grown much at all since I put them in the ground. How do I cut them back? - Terra

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 19:24

If they were longer established, I'd say to cut them back to an inch or 2, but since they haven't been in the ground very long, I'd leave them as they are, and add water. If you can, shade them from the hottest sun. Even setting a lawn chair over them would help.

o

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated! - Terra

o

Blue fescue doesn't get large, so don't expect it to get real tall or anything like that.
Every once in a while when I grow blue fescue plugs from seed, some of them stay green while others look very blue. If yours looked really blue when you planted them, they are just stressed. Water them well and keep them on a watering schedule and give them a little shade if you can rig it up. After a few waterings and they look better, give them some fertilizer, too, something with a high first number.
If they really didn't look blue at planting, but you expected them to develop more blue color, then you planted duds. Rip them out and get some more in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here