Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_maraj

urgent help re ornamental bed design.

Karen
18 years ago

We're digging a bed at the front of our house tomorrow to transplant a few existing grasses as well as to plant a few new ones. Our front is quite small, only about 15' wide at the sidewalk. The bed is sort of boomerang shaped, incorporating the existing service berry tree in the corner. I want it to look nice from the inside of the house and the road on the other side. Our house is at a T-intersection so everyone has to stop and look, so I think it should look nice too. Here's where the bed is going to go, where we'll dig up the sod:

Here's my plan. Any suggestions? Ideas? am I on or off base at all? I've tried to colour the plants to give an general indication of plant or fall colour.

Comments (3)

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Hi: I really don't know what zone Ontario is in, but I am assuming that you have researched the hardiness of the selections you have listed and are comfortable with their viability.

A couple of thoughts. I like the design plan and it is clear that you are not coming at this a as a total novice based on your efforts and knowledge of different grasses. Something that I wonder about is the very tall or very short nature of the selections. Many of your choices are either in the 5-6' range or are blue fescue clumps (short). You may want to give thought to planting a design that will have more of a height gradient? This might mean just switching a few things around. Do you want the Graziella as an upright arching sentinel out there on the end (might it block visibility for backing out of the drive?) Perhaps start the Panicum (more than one?) in that area instead and put the Graziella more toward the center? Also, I wonder if you are planning on planting any prarie type flowers in the midst of this bed to compliment the grasses. I am often tempted to do a pure grass planting but always come to the realization that other stuff mixed in here and there really helps set them off. Good luck and have fun!

• jake
    18 years ago

For more comments and thoughts check Landscape Design Forum.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

What a stunning house! And you give it a thoughtful plan.

Pezhead gives good attention and suggestions in response to your plan. My initial response is that, instead of "one of everything," try grouping a bit more. In lieu of fescue used as little dots, give them more impact by ganging them where they'll be more visible. (Because the other grasses are so much taller, you might want to consider Helictotrichon, Blue Oat Grass, instead of fescue, whose horticultural requirements are more akin to those of Miscanthus, Pennisetum and Serviceberry. Plus it grows a bit taller than fescues and looks less fussy).

Regarding the taller grasses, you might consider grouping them, too. Misc. s. 'Strictus' is delightfully showy; the Maiden Grass (M.s.'Gracillimus') is not, but would serve as a good foil for the fun of the 'Strictus.' Note: if you are near Toronto or Windsor, then you are probably in zone 5 (a or b), so 'Gracillimus,' a late bloomer, might not flower for you (none of mine do in 5a).

Your selections are individually pleasing; As they mature, if you don't like their relationships to one another, do what we all do: just move them around.