Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

Moudry Grass..

lovelycherry
16 years ago

Is it possible to dehead it so it doesn't self seed? Or is this an unreasonable thing to do.

I have one that I am worried about self seeding and becoming invasive. Wondering if I should pull it up or watch it closely.

Comments (9)

• donn_
    16 years ago

'Moudry' is no more invasive than any other plant which can be grown from seed. Are you going to stop growing all other seed-grown plants?

I have a dozen clumps of 'Moudry' and hundreds of other seed-grown grasses. When they self-sow, the volunteers tend to stay close to the parent, and are easily identified and pulled. I won't be seeding Blue Fescue any more, because I get more than enough nice blue babies to choose from, all clustered right around the parent. I pull the green ones, and pot up the blue ones.

I love my 'Moudry'

{{gwi:868050}}

And so do my neighbors:

{{gwi:868052}}

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks.. I'll leave it be. cherry

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

cherry,

I hope I didn't cause you too much consternation over your Moudry. Donn is right, Moudry is a very attractive grass and if seeding is not an issue, don't sweat over it. I just wanted you to be aware of the potential, since I deal within the industry and hear feedback from landscapers who did not expect it to seed so readily. I would never advise de-blooming grasses to prevent seeding. If you feel the need to do that, you simply have the wrong grass planted.

My experience with Moudry is that it self seeds a bit more aggressively than most other seed varieties of Pennisetum. That's why I recommend it for massed plantings to establish areas where seeding is not an issue. I do like this grass and produce it regularly (by division). Seed produced Moudry are not usually true to form.

If you really want to cut the seedheads prior to ripening you may do that, but I really don't support this recommendation. The appearance throughout bloom cycle is one of this grasses greatest features.

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Grass guy. Not a problem. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting in for.

I read the concerns of others on the net who disliked it for its self seeding. I do realize that many people want to plop plants in and never think about them again.
    Gardens are not like that, they need care and attention.
    A strong back and a hoe will take care of the little seedlings plus I am sure the birds will eat some as well.
    I love to fuss over my plants so it will be fine.

I have 109 feet of eroding disaster hillside that slopes away from my house, to the LIRR (train track), I need all the plants I can get so Moudry and I will get along just fine.
    Now to convince donn to share his seeds.. or find someone who sells less then a million in a package.
    thanks for all your thoughtful comments and caring about the details, Cherry Long Island NY

• donn_
    16 years ago

My 'Moudry' just started blooming this weekend.

{{gwi:868054}}

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very pretty.. I look forward tomy blooms.
    I bought a pancicum heavy metal and the blue leymus grass this weekend.
    I created quite a mess trying to put them in the hill.
    I watered well prayed and left them be.

Cherry

• webkat5
    16 years ago

The Blue Leymus grass will fill that area fairly quickly...just keep moving the new plants (spreads rhizomatically) to keep them where you want them.

Is that a word? :o)

• donn_
    16 years ago

"I watered well prayed and left them be."

Don't leave them be! It's been exceedingly dry on the island recently. Go back and water them every day this week, and as long as there is no rain. When it does rain, keep an eye on the soil around their crowns, and make sure it isn't getting washed away. Take extra care of them this fall, and they'll have a much better chance of surviving.

• lovelycherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, like a Mother hen I will watch over them.
    Cherry

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions