Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petal_88

Experience with Panicum 'Northwind?'

petal_88
13 years ago

Hello, I have a spot in my front foundation bed I am hoping to fill with the perfect size, complementary in color/texture with surroundings, perennial. I am left with a narrow space (about 28" diameter - possible to get a little more), after considering what the surrounding shrubs will mature at. Perfect plant would also have to be at least 4 feet tall, because it's going north and east of a group of Ilex glabra Shamrock, west of a Fothergilla Mt. Airy, and south of Cotinus Grace... Oh, what have I done?? :)

I came across someone mentioning Panicum virgatum Northwind, and it sounds like it could fit the bill. I would need something that also doesn't mind being in moist soil at times and doesn't need overly lean soil.

Apologies for the long-winded preface... My questions are:

1. Does Northwind really only get 2-3 feet wide in your experience, like the vendors say?

2. Do you think it would look out of place, being the only grass in a shrub border?

3. Has anyone ever moved this grass after planting it? I am wondering how difficult it would be to dig up if it turns out I was wrong about the spot.

4. If anyone has any other comments or observations about Northwind that could help me decide.

I am Zone 6B in Massachusetts. The area it would be going faces East and gets sun from morning until about 2:00 pm. Soil is sandy now, I would probably amend a bit if advisable. On a slight slope headed down, so drainage is good.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• donn_
    13 years ago

I have 2 and 3 year old 'Northwind' plants, and they are one of my favorite grasses. The size estimates you mention are very accurate. My 3 year olds are ~4' or a bit taller. They are extremely upright, moreso than any other grass I own. They are about 12" in diameter at the crown, and no more than 24" at the widest point. They are really stunning grasses, especially in bloom. The blossoms stay within the tops of the blades, and do not tower over the grass like so many others.

Moving them is easy, and they don't require any soil amendments. They favor sandy soil, so you're all set.

• petal_88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both so much! Great info, I am going to move forward with this... I can't wait!

Cheers,
    P_88

• jean001
    13 years ago

You said "I would need something that also doesn't mind being in moist soil at times and doesn't need overly lean soil. "

I wonder if other folks missed that statement.

Panicums are drought tolerant & will splay if too moist. It also does best in lean soil.

• petal_88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ProfessorRoush and Jean - I was so busy gardening last year I never came back on the site!

So far so good, I will keep that in mind about not being too moist and it is better being lean. It gets quite a bit of sun in that spot so I think will be OK. It hasn't greened up yet but still a little early here.

Cheers,
    P_88

• Scott Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

When did you plant your Northwinds grasses. Curious if you think Spring is better than Fall (or vs versa)? Thanks.

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

i planted mine in the Fall two years ago and they are beautiful. i read somewhere that Fall planting is a good time to do this.

• florananny
    9 years ago

About replanting -- a few years ago I bought a grass on a dollar shelf and popped it in a 12" container. I was able to ID it as Northwind Panicum after it grew (and splayed all over the place). Pulled it out of the container and dumped it [more or less] down in a patch of daffys and daylilies, similar exposure to yours. I guess it was one of those happy 'mistakes' because it's come back full, lush, and upright the last 2 years :)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I took the yardstick outside and measured. Mine are going on their 3rd summer from 4" pots planted in fall 2011. Height 5ft. Width at top 3ft. Exactly.

They make a great specimen grass so yes, they would look very nice being the only grass in the border.

I dug three 2yr old plants up last year in spring very easily but it set them back on size that year.

Other comments? They look fabulous under an outdoor light, backlit by sun or in the moonlight and I love the gentle way they sway in the wind. Its one of my favorite grasses. They stay upright in winter, I almost hate to cut them back in spring. Also, they bloom for me quite early, in late June here so thats another + of a long period compared to some later blooming grasses. They will take moist soil but they have flopped down in rain when wet, they recover quickly however.

Here is a photo I shot of a grouping of 3 in early July.

• Scott Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I just planted 1/2 a dozen of these (~5" pots...clipped tops on the grass) and am curious how much you think they might grown this fall. I'm in 8b (north of Austin, TX) so we have plenty of growing season left I would think...does anyone have experience planting in the fall in a warm area?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists