Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunny Tails ornamental grass

Posted by siouxsie66002 Kansas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 21:52

Can anyone tell me if this grass reseeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunny Tails ornamental grass

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 5:50

It does in my zone.

o

If you mean Pennisetum messiacum for Bunny Tails, mine did not seed but it did spread so much that I shovel pruned it.

It would come up a foot or more from the clump in all directions.

o
Bunny Tails

Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 18:18

In my mind, Bunny Tails is Lagurus ovatus.

o

Never heard of it. The tag on my grass above read Bunny Tails Fountain Grass....Common names can be sooooo confusing!

o

I've grown Bunny Tails - Lagurus ovatus from seed, it is an annual grass in my zone and was not a vigorous grower nor did it reseed.

Likely this Pennisetum shares the same common name? I agree common names are confusing, I make the effort to learn the botanical names of the plants I grow, otherwise it is impossible to really know what you're growing.

o
Bunny Tails

Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 6:17

I Googled Pennisetum messiacum, and one of the more popular cultivars seems to be 'Red Bunny Tails.'

o

• Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 23:05

I'd like to propagate Pennisetum messiacum. There are some along the road. How do I get the seed and then how should it be planted? thanks.

o

The seeds are in the fluffy heads, and if they become viable in your unknown zone, harvest time will be when the stalk holding the seed head turns brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here