Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveroftheleaf

Would this be mean?

loveroftheleaf
18 years ago

I have a not-so-big flower bed that I'd love to add a variegated grass I just bought at Lowes. It's a wider bladed Miscanthus of some kind...no tag on it and the Lowes employee said she thought it would grow about 4-5 ft tall and 3-4 feet wide....which is a little too big for the area I want it in.

Would it be "mean" if I planted it in a larger pot so it couldn't spread out or would that be considered cruel and unusual punishment? I guess I could always divide it when it gets out of bounds but that is something I'd rather avoid on a yearly basis.

Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

• hillspride
    18 years ago

Sounds like you have 'Cabaret'. This seems to the readly available through Lowes. But you're talking 8-9 foot tall and 4 ft wide when the plant matures. Maybe wider. Mine is about 4.5- 5ft now. Very bold grass. It would outgrow a pot very fast too.
    Best Regards,
    Anthony in TN.

• blackie57
    18 years ago

Are the leaves varagated or not ?? By varigated, I mean a cream and green striping, somewhat wide..rather than a thin white stripe running near the rib. I have seen some Miscanthus grown in decorative pots to keep them in check, but there are so many alternatives in grasses as far as size and heiht that I'm sure you could find something that would fit your need. How about creating a new bed and building it around this new grass ? That way it could grow to it full potential and you could find something more suited to your existing bed. Not sure if this is an option or not.

Blackie

• loveroftheleaf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

After looking up 'Cabaret' Miscanthus, it looks like that might be the one I bought. It's on the small side now, but I anticipate its vigor. I went ahead and planted it without constraint. Hopefully it won't get too out of hand but I can always divide & share some huh...

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Loveroftheleaf -- mind what Hillspride has to say about this grass. Find a display garden somewhere that has a mature one and think again if this placement is going to be right for you. You want to enjoy this grass without battling it. These get very large! Find it a place of its own where it can get big. Full sun. Enjoy. Consider a Miscanthus 'Morning Light' !

• triciae
    18 years ago

I planted one of these this spring. It's situated such that size will not be a problem. But, I'm a little concerned about hardiness. It's listed as Z6-9. I'm in Z6 (maybe Z6b) right on the sound so somewhat moderated by water. Will this grass need any winter protection?

• hillspride
    18 years ago

TriciaE,
    I'm in the same zone! The clump I have is mature and all I do is mulch around the base a bit each Fall. Otherwise, it's out in the open with no protection at all. To be truthful, I have 2 mature clumps of this with a 3rd well on its way. Very beautiful grass. Enjoy!
    Best Regards,
    Anthony in TN.