Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus'

Posted by jondmvn z8 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 05 at 0:36

Is anyone growing this or have experience? There seems to be conflicting information between Rick Darkes book and other growers and suppliers as to the color of the flowers although I have heard that 'Malepartus' can vary slightly. My understanding is that it is Red Flowering. I think I have one of these and it is really nice. Just opening are the reddish wine colored blooms and the foliage is nearly 1" wide and turning pink, purple, and yellow with the colder weather. It is nearly six feet tall and very upright stems hold horizontal leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus'

The infloresences on my 'Malepartus' are indistinguishable in color from those of the 'Graziella' growing next to it. They are basically golden. Last year as I recall it did develop a more pronounced reddish cast later in the season. Here in the southern Midwest 'Malepartus' starts to bloom early in July before any other Miscanthus.

o

Malepartus begins as a golden brownish color, and changes to pink, in my garden.

o

Here are some current photos of my "Malepartus"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

and this years colors...

o

it might be helpful to read a posting that headed off in the direction of discussing bloom colour on Malepartus.
It was back in August when mine started blooming. Is it normal for your Miscanthus cultivars to bloom this late or is it just Malepartus?

Strange about the leaf colour. Like yours, mine always has that gorgeous reddish/orange leaf colour, usually by the end of September. Very little colour showing up this year and it is almost all yellow. Maybe it will get there yet.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a link that might be useful: blooming grasses posting

o

Here is a picture of my Malepartus taken earlier this summer. It started blooming the end of July.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here