Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zebra Grass Runners?

Posted by WheeledGardener z8 NW Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 4:33

In July of 2004 I planted Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Nicky' (dwarf zebra grass). The plant has grown to between 5 and 6 ft. tall but hasn't bloomed yet. A month or two ago I noticed a small clump of grass growing about 3 ft. from the grass I had planted. Now it is nearly 3 ft. tall and has a growth habit and leaves that look very similar to dwarf zebra grass. However, it has no stripes as yet. Does dwarf zebra grass send out runners? If so, will the new plant eventually get its stripes? If it does send out runners, does this happen very often? Is its spread difficult to control? It would be rather inconvenient to have zebra grass popping up in the middle of my other perennials. Has anybody had experience with this?

Thank you for any wisdom you might be able to impart.

Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zebra Grass Runners?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 19:13

Likely a seedling rather than a runner.

o

It can't be a seedling from the zebra grass because the original plant has never bloomed. I've only had it in the ground since July of the previous year. I'm hoping to see some blossoms for the first time this fall. None of my neighbors have Zebra grass.

o

I doubt your stray grass is a zebra grass. They don't send out runners, especially 3ft. away. As far as I know all miscanthus sinesis stay strictly in clumps.

o

Jean and Dereks,

Having watched my mystery grass grow for awhile longer, I can see that you are both correct about it not being zebra grass. It is over 3 ft. tall now, and unlike zebra grass, the lower stems and the edges of the blades are red. It has already begun to bloom, while the zebra grass is showing no sign of blooming yet. Also some of its stalks are horizontal rather than upright. I am sure you are correct, Jean, in saying that it must be a seedling (from some other kind of grass). I am happy to hear that Miscanthus sinensis species stay strictly in clumps.

Thank you both for your advice.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here