Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shady container grasses that overwinter?

Posted by fmogul z6-7 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 7:17

I've got two large pots flanking a very shady doorway. We're z6 but pretty well protected, here in the (mostly lowrise) city. I was thinking of combining carex types, since they're among the few grasses reputed to do well in shade, but which ones would go best together?

OG Forum regular achnatherum (who's VERY helpful :-) suggested Hakonechloa sp. & cultivars, which is also a great idea. I've seen it look good in pots just by itself, nice and simple, but I do like to get a few things in there, if possible. What would go well with it?

Anyone know anything about: a) Sesleria , b) phalaris, c) luzula, d) Chasmanthium latifolium Northern Sea Oats?

Extra bonus points If you can suggest something from the following link that's on sale!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade & Part-Shade Ornamental Grasses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shady container grasses that overwinter?

I think you have some good suggestions listed. If you're borderline zone 7, you want to find zone 5 grasses to winter over in a container...unless you can give them extra protection.

Phalaris Strawberries and Cream would be a great container selection. Nowhere for it to run. :) Use it by itself not in a mixed container. Zone 4

Chasmanthium isn't often used, but makes a very nice container grass in a shaded location. Zone 4

Both Sesleria autumnalis and cearulea would do well. Zone 4.

I'd recommend Carex Evergold, Carex Kaga Nashiki, & Carex Bowles Golden, all zone 5 and all with great color/variegation. Most of the wiry copper sedges aren't going to be much hardier than zone 6/7. You'd have a tougher time over-wintering those containers.

o
RE: Shady container grasses that overwinter?

Here's a picture I found of Chasmanthium in a container at Blustem Nursery. I like it very much, especially used with other containers that provide color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chasmanthium in a container

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here