Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

Rain & Bloomin Grasses

achnatherum
17 years ago

Don't you just hate it when it rains for a couple of days right after your grasses have come in to bloom?!

Grrrr%#*

Several of my lovely Miscanthus are now in a full sprawl after 2 1/2 days of rain. I'm hoping for some dry windy weather to help them stand back up.

I'm thinking of giving my Miscanthus s. 'Strictus' a girdle before the blooms come out. It is planted along the walkway to my front door and if it flops I have to do some major pruning :o(

Comments (10)

• donn_
    17 years ago

I 'girdle' mine all the time. A short length of tarred seine twine does the trick, and is completely invisible. It's part of my pre-rain ritual this time of year. Tie up some plants and grasses, and pick almost ripe tomatoes.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

I hate it as well !!!! Drives me crazy !!! when we had the floods in July, I was outside in the pouring rain girdling and staking up my Karl's before they completely fell over. My M. Purpansens is the worst one for me as far as sprawling. I had it tied up lawst week when it was raining, the untied it over the weekend and it was fine. Now it's raining again, and not just raining...it stinking pours !! So i'm debating tieing them up and just leaving them.....just get's too frustrating to do it over and over.

ARGGHHHHH !!! I think I'll get me a beverage and watch them flop in the rain.. ;)

Blackie

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my! Misery sure does love company ~ thanks guys, your responses have given me a few good chuckles :o)

I don't usually tie up any of my grasses but last week I tied up a large clump of Panicum 'Warrior' that was having a major case of the sprawls. I thought if the stems got a chance to harden-off in the upright postition, that would do the trick. Well we just got another 2" of rain in the last couple of days and the darn thing (still all tied up) has flopped in one large heap :o(

Wet snow and rain at the wrong time are definitely our nemisis. Makes you appreciate the 'fountain' type grasses.

Heading out to put a girdle on the Strictus ~ suck it in girl!.
    A.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

A. -

The fountain type grasses aren't immune. My M. Varigatus and Gracillimus are doing some major leaning and are hanging much lower than normal.. I need a week of sun for these guys to rebound, I think, but grey skies abound !

Blackie

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also hate it when you can't respond twice without changing the subject line ..ghrrrrr!

Blackie, I was thinking more of Pennisetums, Carex and the like when I mentioned fountain types.

A.
    With a little sun peaking thru.
    We have the next 3 days forcasted for sunshine ~ fingers crossed

• dereks
    17 years ago

Today is the first day of rain in several weeks. We only got about 1/3 of an inch and my 'Giganteus' is leaning over some. That has never happened before. I'm thinking it is because the dog pees all around it. The ravennas are also leaning over quite a bit. I'd hate to see what would happen in a heavy rain, which we may have tomorrow.

• blackie57
    17 years ago

Opps, my bad A... My feeble mind went to the Fountain "looking" grasses...Instead of reading the obvious into your post...

Speaking of carex, I got a couple of these this year. Do you treat them like most other grasses and cut them back in the spring, pr just tidy them up like you would a fescue. Inquiring minds, and feeble ones, want to know.

Blackie

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Blackie, what kind of Carex do you have? Many of mine I give a haircut in the spring ~ but not as short as other grasses. Others I tidy up like you would a fescue.

Sometimes the evergreen/everbrown ones can be a bit tricky.

a.
    not much help .... eh?

• blackie57
    17 years ago

A. -

they are carex dolichostachya 'kaga-nishiki' gold fountains. I planted four of them. Below is a photo of how big they were back in June.

Hope this helps...and you're always a help !!

Blackie

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh right! You would ask about one of my difficult ones ... :o)
    In my garden I just tidy this one up a bit in the spring. If it is really in bad shape you 'can' give it a hair cut.
    Looks like you have enough to experiment.

The yellow variegated carexs give me the most trouble ....
    A.

Sponsored
More Discussions