Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

Accurate hardiness zones for OG's

achnatherum
17 years ago

I just found an interesting web site where, it would seem, we could contribute to creating more accurate hardiness ratings for our wonderful OG's.

I quote

"The Canadian Forest Service has embarked on an ambitious project called Going Beyond the Zones. They've set up a site where gardeners across Canada and the Northern US are encouraged to report information about the hardy plants in their gardens.

The project is a follow-up to the 2001 revision of the Canadian Plant Hardiness Zone Map. After enough information is gathered on each plant species or cultivar, a really nifty mapping program can generate a hardiness range map specific to each type. What's really needed right now are lots of gardeners to participate and report on the plants that they are growing.

Registration on the site is free and only takes a few moments. Full details about the project may be seen on the link above. Once there, select the language of your choice and the page will pop right up."

I think I will add my '2 cents worth' as time allows

A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Going Beyond the Zones

Comments (8)

• deep_roots
    17 years ago

In Zone 5a we can commonly push to get Zone 6 grasses through the winter with a little mulch protection. Zone 7 grasses are iffy, but a few are still surviving mild winters. I have tried pampas grass three times, but can not get it to survive. The zone map you mention will be interesting to check out as it progresses. Good post.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

Hey deep roots, have you tried cortaderia pumila? It's a dwarf pampas grass that is hardier than the species. It is listed as zone 6-10 and I have confirmation from growers that it does survive in zone 6.

• deep_roots
    17 years ago

Appreciate the suggestion. Cortaderia Pumila is too temperature sensitive for where I live. It's a shame, as I think it is a great variety. I have even considered planting it in a large deck pot and storing it in the basement during winter. Now that the wife has redone the basement, it's unlikely that any dried up plant will make it to the basement.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DeepRoots,
    Why don't you contribute some data rather than just waiting for the site to progress. I think that it is exciting for more 'northerly' gardeners to have input into this type of thing. I have found over the years that grasses in particular are often 'under-zoned' (or over-zoned, depending on your perspective.

Grass Guy, I think that I will give Cortaderia pumila a try next year .... In the right location and established early in the year it might just work.

A.

• deep_roots
    17 years ago

Achnatherum, I appreciate the suggestion. I have 32 stands of ornamental grass and information that might help others. If I can figure out how to post pictures in responses, I have multiple years worth to share on gardenweb too.

• jondmvn
    17 years ago

Cortaderia selloana 'Icalma' is said to be Hardy to Zone 5

and 3'-4' with blue foliage and earleir blooming than Pumila.

I haven't grow it yet, but have seen it and read about it.

Anyone have any experience with it?

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

deep roots,
    posting pictures is really easy. Go to Photobucket.com and set up an album or several albums. Then you just upload your pics to the photobucket site.
    Each image will have three useful things;
    URL
    TAG
    IMG

copy and paste the 'URL' into any email and people can use the link to see your image.
    copy and past the 'TAG' into a posting (within the text) on the OG forum and your picture will turn up in the post.

If you like you can go to my photobucket site and have a look at how I've set mine up.

(instructions are for photobucket but, you can use any other image hosting site or even your own web space)

AND
    on the hardiness site I would imagine that contributions of OG's, perennials and woodies would be more than welcome. Good thing for a winter day :o) AND ... it will help get your records in order ~ at least I am hoping that is what it will do for me ...

A.

Here is a link that might be useful: my photobucket albums

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cortaderia selloana 'Icalma' sounds interesting! I haven't tried it yet. Must admit I'm not 'desperate' to have pampas grass BUT it would be interesting to see if it would survive here.
    I will look for it next spring. Some of the cultivars don't make it to Canada very quickly, if at all :o(

A.

Sponsored
More Discussions