Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

Arundo flowering ??

achnatherum
13 years ago

Does it flower for you??

I have never seen Arundo donax in flower in Ontario. Just wondering how far south you have to grow it to get blooms.

thanks

A

Comments (9)

• donn_
    13 years ago

Hi A,

The only Arundo I have are a couple of 'Peppermint Sticks,' and they're pretty young...in the ground for just less than a year. They look like they're thinking about flowering, especially the larger of the 2 (6').

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I'm totally out of the 'new grass' loop. I haven't even heard of Peppermint Sticks! Picture???

You might be surprised to hear that I am growing Arundo donax up here 'in the north'!! Mine plant is already 6+ feet tall & it was planted late last summer!
    a.

• donn_
    13 years ago

I bought them early last summer, in 4" pots, from Santa Rosa Gardens. I grew them on in large pots until fall, when I planted them out. They probably aren't getting as much sun as they would like, so I may end up moving them.

My next-door neighbor asked me where I got the 'Striped Corn.'

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gorgeous! Much crisper brighter white than the varietagus that I once had. Hmmmmmm
    A

• donn_
    13 years ago

I've got one plume opening on the larger plant. I'll get a photo of it when it gets bigger.

• donn_
    13 years ago

The larger plant now has three plumes:

They're very nice at this stage, with a purple/red tinge to the color:

• noki
    13 years ago

Have flowered quite well in Ohio by the end of Sept. I have more than 30 plumes.

Actually I need to reduce the size of colony, probably get rid of it in that spot... any advice on how? Will it be very hard to dig up like a huge Miscanthus or will it be easy to break up. Dig up now or in spring? Roundup as a last resort?

• steve1young
    13 years ago

I just moved mine yesterday and it was much easier to dig up then I thought it would be. Plus, the whole clump stayed together. Mine just bloomed this year (it's 3rd season) and looked just like the pics above. I LOVE this baby. I noticed a golden variety available. I may have to find some room for it. ;)

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noki,
    I would have said, definitely transplant in the spring. This is a general rule for all herbacious plants. Move them when they are actively growing not when they are going dormant. eg, many spring flowering plants can be moved in the fall because they put on a new flush of growth in the fall (including Calamagrostis spp., Fescues, etc)
    BUT, I guess we will have to wait & hear how Steve's Arundo survives now that he has moved it in the fall.
    Let us know Steve!

Thanks for all your input folks!
    A.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions