Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

My Purple Fountain Grass

v1rt
14 years ago

Good morning folks. I brought my purple fountain grass in. Tonight, we will be at 36F. I don't want them to get hurt. I remember this plant is only rated zone 7. My neighbor also has this plant and he tried leaving it outside with 4" and 8" thick mulch for 2 years and never came back. It was in his garden that I learned about this plant.

Anyways, here are some pics of before and after. I'm hoping, they'll make it inside the house.

{{gwi:432409}}

{{gwi:432411}}

{{gwi:432412}}

Oh, I also brought in some ants. LOL. It was in my neck, my arms. The ants were slow and never bit me. Also, the ants were coming out the pot. Maybe they thought it was summer. LOL. Hahaha.

Another thing I noticed about this grass. They have deep roots about 14" down. :)

Comments (22)

• donn_
    14 years ago

Beautiful plants. Keep us posted on how they do.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is an update. I brought it down to the basement the other night(11pm) since my wife doesn't like it in the living room. After 6 hours, the leaves aren't looking good. I'm not sure what's going on. It's 65F right there now. This plant was able to withstand 40F without any damage. Not sure what's in my basement. Maybe, it's so dry?

• donn_
    14 years ago

If you dug the plants out of the ground, they are in shock from having their roots disturbed.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I cut the leaves and leave like 3" of it?

• terrene
    14 years ago

I like the combination of PF grass and Asters! Is that Aster novae-angliae Purple dome?

• donn_
    14 years ago

"Should I cut the leaves and leave like 3" of it?"

I'd probably cut off the top third, including the blossoms now, and wait a while before cutting the rest. Doing that will help balance the root loss from transplanting. Wait until it's gone fully dormant before cutting the rest.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks donn! :)

terrene, you got it! ;)

• newbie_2007
    14 years ago

I love the pictures. How old is that grass. I'm trying to think where I might put one.
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi newbie_2007,

I'm so sorry. I've been very very busy with my family room project. I bought it around late May this year at Home Depot. The height when I planted it was around 8" tall and skinny. So almost 5 months now. It's in the basement. I cut 1/3 of it from top. It's down to 20-24 inches. It's also sending new green blades. It's alive!!! :D

Once I finish my family room projec(early November), I'll post pic of this grass again.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank newbie_2007 for the email. I will post the same pictures to a different server. My friend's website went down.

Thanks!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the old pics. I'll take pictures later.

{{gwi:869515}}

{{gwi:869516}}

{{gwi:869517}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the latest pics taken 5 minutes ago, Nov 11 '09. This is the basement. This window is south facing. However, the sunlight isn't really strong because of the tall wall from my neighbor's house. Also, it only gets about 30mins of sunlight. About 85% during winter, sunlight isn't really strong.

The purple fountain grass is near the window. I had to elevate it so it can get some sunlight. The other plants are cordyline(green and purple), sweet potatio vine(green/purple and variegated), some snap dragons(hahaha), petunia.
    {{gwi:869518}}

Close up of PFG. New shoots! :)
    {{gwi:869519}}

• newbie_2007
    14 years ago

PFG ....... The poor thing. It sure looks alive but what a shock it must have been for you to cut it back .. so pretty it was. Hope it survives so you can post more pics this winter and next year.
    I'm going to try planting a pot, in a pot with stones, in the ground to see if I can just pull the inner pot out for winter storage.
    We have the same zone so might be worth a try. 14 in. roots you say.
    My friend loved the photos. Thanks for the repost.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My neighbor has tried it for 2 years outside and never came back. I'm in zone 5a which is a little colder than your zone, 5b. The soil here during winter freezes upto 3.5 ft deep.

About the roots, it's true that they have long deep roots. I remember seeing some roots were still left behind during the digging.

I'm glad your friend likes it. I love its plumes! :)

Oh, here is another tip I can share. My neighbor planted another one this year. It became warm at first week of May. So he went out and decided to buy and plant it. We had a cold spell in mid May. He was hoping it will make it but it never made it. I think I planted mine late May or early June. I forgot.

• newbie_2007
    14 years ago

I would pot it up in May, leave in garage 'til last frost, usually June 5 then drop it in the outer pot and mound over the two pots with mulch. Worth trying for ease of pulling in the Fall.
    Let's see what it looks like next summer. I hear it really grows fast.
    Thanks again. Post some pics in June for everyone to see.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think if you keep it in the smaller pot and place it in the bigger pot, it won't grow that big. The root ball dictates the size of a plant. I'm not sure if I'm correct. Hopefully someone can comment about it. It's because I noticed this behavior in my other potted plants. They didn't grow as big as the one planted in the ground.

And yes, I will definitely post pic of her in June. :)

I've got to check my Ensete Maurelii at the back corner of my basement. I haven't seen her for almost 1 month now. LOL.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found a pic of her 1 or 2 weeks after I planted her. I couldn't remember anymore. LOL.

Anyways, here is how she looked like on June 9. Oh, behind her is Miscanthus Morning Light. It was given to me.
    {{gwi:869520}}

• newbie_2007
    14 years ago

The pot will be bigger than the container you are using to store it in the basement. It's 12 in. across and 14" deep. That's where the one gal. starter without it's pot will be placed. Then a same size pot with 1 inch of gravel in the bottom will receive the first pot. That will suspend the FPG slighty above the other pot and it all goes in the ground. If the grass isn't growing as fast as I think it should I'll pull both pots amd use the existing hole to directly plant the PFG and back fill.
    It's a trial. Nothing to lose really. It will survive either way.
    Will be almost 8 mths before we can compare pics. The pic with the rocks looked great. I love stealing great ideas for my own planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Grass pics

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really like your idea about pot and the gravel!!! I think I should try it too so it can easily be pulled in winter. :D

By the way, I love your pics! It is stunning! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update: the PFG that I put in the basement and which also gets 2 hours of not so strong sunlight did NOT make it. I just bought two this year. I think I even got it cheaper, $3.98 per. I'll just do it this way from now on. :)

• newbie_2007
    13 years ago

Sorry to here of your lose. I paid 35.00 for two 1 gal. Only 3 inches tall and they are just starting to go. In the ground 3 weeks. Really hot here at 40 degress C.

Bought one today on sale for 5.00 in 4 in. pot and will plant tomorrow. The on sale one is already in bloom but only 1 Ft. tall. Really scruffy looking. Worth a try at 5 bucks.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm in Zone 8 and I have to keep them in my heated greenhouse over the winter. The first year we didn't heat the greenhouse and they died. Last year I didn't keep them well watered in the greenhouse and they died.