Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting grasses back?

Posted by keywee 7a KY (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 11:44

No, not the usual question. I know the answer is spring or fall depending on preference.
But what happens if you cut grasses back (for whatever reason) in late June? Will they simply not bloom at all, or will they attain a shorter height and then bloom? Someone asked me and I've never tried it.
Questioner is in Zone 5a WI.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting grasses back?

I assume you mean warm season grasses, since cool season grasses will have already bloomed.

The foliage will continue to grow on trimmed warm season grasses, but it will have squared-off ends, which will be browned where they were cut. If you don't take more than 50% of the foliage length, chances are the plant will still bloom, and the blooms will be at their normal height, although the foliage will be shorter. I've cut many Miscanthus clumps halfway down, divided and re-planted them in late spring to early summer. They look awful the year it was done, and you can't tell anything happened in the next year.

This doesn't apply to early summer blooming warm season grasses. Chances are, you'll trim off the flowering stalks on them. They still might throw up a few blossoms, but nothing like normal.

o
RE: Cutting grasses back?

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply. I gave my friend in WI the information and she was able to come to a decision about what she wanted to do. You wouldn't think there is a world of difference between zones, but there is! Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here