Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie question about Pampas Grass

Posted by paulav468 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 12:46

I have several 5 year old Pampas Grass' in my back yard that do very well all year round. BUT for some reason the plumes are getting browner and browner every year! They started off white the first year then die back and each year then on, get darker and darker! They are definitely not dead! Does anyone know why this is? I live in NW Florida on the panhandle. Just a curious question really!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie question about Pampas Grass

Do you ever cut the plants back?

o
RE: newbie question about Pampas Grass

Do you mean the existing plumes get darker and darker each year or that the new plumes produced each season are a darker color than the year before.?

Old plumes will age darker if left on the plant. With weather and wind, they only keep their appearance for a season or so. Generally it is recommended that they be cut off annually so that new, fresh plumes can take their place. Think of them like the grass's 'flowers' -- once the seeds have ripened and disbursed, the 'flowers' have achieved their purpose and there is no need for them to remain. Just like you wouldn't leave an old rose flower on for multiple seasons, you don't really want to leave an OG plume on indefinitely either.

I have never heard of new plumes gradually becoming darker year after year - this is not the way OG's typically react. In much the same sort of analogy as above, it would be highly unusual for a flower to change color from one season to the next. Ditto the seedhead/plumes of ornamental grasses. These are kind of their defining feature!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here