Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my grass growing so slow?

Posted by katrina_ellen 5-MI (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 13:57

I planted blue oatgrass and some sedge grass almost two years ago. I bought them from a nursery and they were smaller size plants at the time. They get full sun and the sedge I water at least once a week, the blue oatgrass I water once a week when its super hot. I put the blue oatgrass into the native soil, the sedge I amended with a richer soil. I believe they are both cool weather grasses, so they have had two seasons so far of cool weather, this fall will be the 3rd. They are not much bigger than when I planted them. Is this normal for grasses? Thanks for any responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my grass growing so slow?

In your zone, cool season grasses and sedges (sedges are not grasses) have two short growing seasons per year; spring and fall. They are semi-dormant in winter and summer.

I would expect them to be a little bit larger after two full years, but they really don't start to pop until that third year.

o

Thanks donn, I thought I had remembered reading that on this site, but wasn't sure. I didn't know sedge was not a grass, thanks.

o

Katrina, your post reminded me of a saying I heard once about ornamental grasses: the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. So, just be patient a little longer :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here