Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Help

Posted by Pittgardener 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 14:06

Hello all. We moved into our house and found several things that need rectifying. I need some help IDing this grass that's VERY overgrown (whole plant is a big donut when trimmed).

I was trying to figure out what it was so I could determine cool or warm as that will help in the division process (particularly when to do it). Thanks for any help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Help

Here is another more detailed photo with the pretty variegation/striping.

o

It looks like some form of Miscanthus sinensis...maybe var. condensatus 'Cabaret.' If it's 'Cabaret' it should be blooming now or soon.

It's common for Miscanthus to donut. It's a warm season grass, so you'll want to divide it in the early spring. Take your divisions from the healthy perimeter and discard the center.

o

Thanks for the quick response! I'm anxious to get started. Too bad I'll have to wait!

o

In the meantime, we can try for a positive ID.

Post a closeup of one or two of the most variegated blades, and give us a measurement of the width of a blade at its widest point.

Then post both medium and closeup shots of a flower, when it blooms. Wait until the bloom has been open for at least a week.

That should enable a good ID.

o

I shall do that tonight.

o

Here's a photo. The blades are 1" (almost exactly) and there are no flower buds evident anywhere. If anything, the stalks have tiny new blades.

o

Yep. It sure looks like 'Cabaret,' and measures up just right. This is what it should look like when it blooms:

Photobucket

Those new stalks look to me like the flower stalks.

It's a gorgeous grass, and well worth taking divisions next year.

o

Excellent...all the info I've read and photos I've seen pretty much match the Cabaret perfectly. The flowers look like that, if I remember correctly. And I agree, it's a beautiful grass and in DIRE need of division (the donuts are probably 2' in diameter). Can't wait to make the new divisions into a border! Again, thanks all for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here