Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compact non-invasive grass for clay soil

Posted by kateedwards11 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 14:10

Can you please recommend a compact (max 3') non-invasive ornamental grass that could grow in clay soil in zone 6?
I have a lot of "mounding" and round perennials so I would like something vertical or spiky for contrast. It will be up against the green leaves of a landscape rose so something coppery or burgandy would be nice. Also I'd like to plant it in the fall, if that's possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compact non-invasive grass for clay soil

miscanthus purpurascens turns coppery/burgundy in the fall. It's mostly upright but can get kind of floppy when it flowers in the fall.

Feather reed grasses meet all you needs. Karl Foerster produces stiff stalks around early June that start out kind of pinkish and then turn golden.

Both are available anywhere that sells ornamental grasses.

o

These are lovely suggestions but I am looking for something below 3' - sorry I should have mentioned this earlier!

o

Little Bluestem is very vertical when it blooms and would be about that height. There's some nice cultivars available such as 'The Blues' which is very blue, 'Prairie Blues' is another. Some types are more red in fall. You might pull up Santa Rosa Gardens and look at the different types if you think this might work for you. It grows naturally in clay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here