Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arjayvee

Miscanthus sinensis Zebrinus

arjayvee
17 years ago

In a previous posting, someone mentioned that Zebrinus is almost impossible to move (the poster said that he needed a truck to pull it out of the ground). Is Zebrinus so different than Gracimillus or Morning Light that it roots differently?

I've carefully dug up Gracimillus and Morning Light and moved them without a hitch.

No experience with Zebrinus yet, however.

Thank You!

Arjayvee

Comments (7)

• donn_
    17 years ago

I expect that was an exaggeration, based on the size of the plant. It's like saying a Tomato plant is so big it requires a zip code. I haven't done them all, by any means, but I'd think the M. sinensis cultivars are pretty similar in rootmass structure and size in relation to plant size.

• arjayvee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanj You, Donn!

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Having grown AND dug 20+ Miscanthus sinensis cultivars my experience is the same as Donn's. They are all similar in root mass.
    However #1 ~ as they get older and larger the difficulty in digging them up increases exponentially.
    However #2 Miscanthus floridus (giganteus) is a whole different matter. The roots are QUITE large and digging is MUCH more difficult.
    A.

• arjayvee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

achnatherum,

Thank You. Also, I have experience with giganteous. You are absolutely right - it is a beast to simply control - never mind remove. I will never grow it again. Of course, we moved and don't have the room for it anyway.

arjayvee

• blackie57
    17 years ago

I moved a three year old Zebrinus this year and although it was a small chore it by no means will be as hard as if I ever try to move my 8 year old, 6 foot tall, 3+ foot wide Morning Light. That may take a backhoe. The Zebrinus was set back for a short time, but now it is taller and growing with the most vigor I have ever seen since i planted it. I am going to be sure to keep it in check unless I want it to stay there forever. I would think all, or the majority, of the Miscanthus grasses grow in pretty much the same manner.

Good luck, if the plant is not too old and established, you should be fine !!

Blackie

• leslie197
    17 years ago

It also depends on what you are digging it out of. Huge difference in digging a big grass out of loamy or sandy soil and trying to remove it from heavy clay. The weight alone will kill you!

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

I'd have to agree that most miscanthus sinensis are going to be about the same root structure as far as digging up clumps, but age is that 'x' factor. Had a Cabaret that nearly broke my back...didn't look so bad when I started digging, but once I was beyond the committed point, I realized what a job was ahead...lol.

oh...a hint that most may know already, but if not cutting back the foliage, tie it up like a hay bundle before digging. Cabaret will also make some nice cut marks on the arms for sure.

Sponsored
More Discussions