Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Suggestions for ornamental grass welcome

highalttransplant
18 years ago

I would like to replace two unidentified shrubs with ornamental grass, but have never used them before. The builder planted these shrubs in front of every house in the subdivision I think, and they grow way too big for the small flower bed there. They are at the back of the bed. The first row is my perennial flowers, the second row is another shrub that I don't know the name of (sorry I'm a rookie)which are 2' to 3' tall. The flower bed is under our front window, so I need something 3' to 4' in height, and probably no more than 3' in width. Can't decide whether something upright or more fountain like would be best. I'd love something that has some color in the fall or winter, but I don't want an annual. I'm a lazy rookie you see! I'll try to post a before picture when I figure out how to do that.

Comments (6)

• deep___roots
    18 years ago

schizachyrium scoparium
    panicum varieties
    check highcountrygardens.com for some o.g. ideas for your area.

• pezhead
    18 years ago

What is the exposure of the flower bed? Schizachyrium will be en excellent choice IF you have nearly full sun and can provide excellent drainage for them. There must be no mulch against their crowns. I also agree with the Panicum suggestion -- Hanse Herms is good for color. Miscanthus 'Purpurascens' is also a possible choice. Another, and probably hard to find, is Spodiopogon Sibericus or Siberian Greybeard -- a very interesting and attractive grass.

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

I second the Panicum and Schizachyrium, but even thinking of varieties like Miscanthus "Rotsilber", Miscanthus "Flamingo", Misc. "Grazielle", Misc. "Ferner Osten", Sorghastrum nutans "Sioux Blue" ( yellows, marbled orange, and tans), Eragrostis trichodes ( soft pink airy panicles, red, orange, and yellow fall color),lower varieties like Eragrostis spectabilis (great lower grass with bright purple flowers and fall color), Holcus lanatus, Boetuloua gracilis( red tinge to the stalks and then fades) and varieties of Panicum like Dallas Blues, Cloud Nine, Heavy Metal, Rostralbusch, and Shenandoah. And don't forget the other great cultivar of Schizachyrium. Most people forget about "Blaze", which has better fall color than "The Blues". "The Blues" is a great plant for the blue growth and magenta highlights on the seed stalks, but if you want a plant that is on fire, try "Blaze" if you can find it. Oh ya, don't forget your Carex family for borders, filling, and add textures.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked High Country Gardens online catalog. The Shenandoah had some nice color. The "Blaze" will probably be too short. Needs to be at least 3' to show up behind the other plants in the bed. Some of the varieties suggested were not in their catalog. Where can I go to see them? Also, how late can I plant?

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Use Google images [search: "Schizachyrium 'Blaze'" etc.] or Froogle to get images. Or get a good book; one which is very enjoyable to read (and hard to put down once opened) is, "Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses" by Rick Darke. Then check out gardenwatchdog.com for mail-order grasses.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Plant NOW or in Spring. EARLY spring (as soon as the ground is workable) for cool-season grasses; mid-to-late Spring for warm-season growers (like Panicum or Eragrostis, et.al.). Get the book.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions