Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple majesty millet uses?

Posted by frecklesb z5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 15:04

I grew purple majesty millet for the first time. It grew great and looks great. Besides saving some for next year and feeding it to the birds, what do I do with it? I will probably not do decorative things with it. Can I cook it?

Thanks
frecklesb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple majesty millet uses?

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 17:10

'Purple Majesty' is a cultivar of Pennisetum glaucum, or Pearl Millet. Pearl Millet is grown extensively as a grain for both humans and animals, in places like Africa. I've heard of people feeding PM seed to ducks and garden birds, but I've never heard of it being eaten by humans.

o

I planted a pkt. as a hedge, looks good. Right now it has spikes about 9" long. When do I cut it to save the seeds? I thought about wrapping it with a piece of row cover, tying it to the stem to catch the seeds. The seeds I used were $3 for a pkt of 10 seeds, I'd like to save my own:) Doug.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 12:15

If your place is like mine, you need to protect the seeds from the birds. I already have Goldfinches and House Finches visiting mine, and the seed isn't ripe yet.

The seed won't be ripe here for quite a while. Long after the plant has started to fail. When they just fall off of their own accord, they're ripe. If you have birds, simply tie pieces of cheesecloth or muslin around each seed head with a twist tie. As long as it's airy and white, the seeds will ripen and the birds won't be able to get them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here