Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help w/ Zebra grass fungus

Posted by gardenz4evr z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 17:27

Hi folks,
I think I know what part of the problem is but... would appreciate some helpful comments if you could offer some.
I have some Zebra grass (or porcupine,,,debateable) and it is planted in medium-poor soil as it should be. I believe the drainage is okay. But it is taking on this white almost powdery type of (I think) fungus. I did fail to cut out the old grass from two (out of 4) clumps in the spring, so that may have affected it. They are on the NW side of my house about 2' in front of a brick wall. So they are getting approx 4-5 hours of sunlight. In front of the grass I have some Peonies growing (actually dying back now). I have thought about adding some homemade compost to see if that would give it a boost and maybe help cure any ailments. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this. I don't really fertilize or mulch this grass because all that I've read on this is saying basically==>leave them alone. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help w/ Zebra grass fungus

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 12:49

Miscanthus should be cut back to just a few inches in the spring, before the new growth emerges. Leaving the old dead foliage is an invitation to damp circumstances and mildew, which is probably what you have. They don't need or want fertilizer or compost, but mulch is always helpful as long as it is kept off the plant's crown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here