Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will fascue tolerate lime?

Posted by clarendon (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 17:49

Hi!

This forum is very helpful for me. I am making a rock garden and need a lot of help!

I am using limestones and want to plant blue fascue. The plant label says they like acid soil, but lime is alkaline. I will mix in peat to make the soil acidic, but am concerned about the lime, especially because I will mulch the garden with lime stone chippings. Will Fascue tolerate lime?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will fascue tolerate lime?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 6:12

Blue Fescue (Festuca glauca) prefers neutral pH, 6.5-7.0, but is tolerant of a wider range.

Get a pH test kit if you are concerned your soil may be too alkaline. If you are mulching with limestone gravel, I strongly encourage thoroughly rinsing it first. It will likely be covered with limestone dust.

o
RE: Will fascue tolerate lime?

Thanks, donn. I was going to give fascues the standard rockery soil, with peat and sand. But if they prefer neutral soil, perhpas peat is not good for them?

Could you tell me what the ideal soil mix is for fascues? Do they prefer poor soil than fertile one like carex testacea? Then perhaps I should just give them garden soil mixed with sand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here