Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

What are the downsides to Ornamental Grasses?

I guess this question is aimed at people who have grown a number of these grasses and either incorporated them into an existing garden space or who have constructed a garden with a grass/prairie theme.

Educate me. What are the most common mistakes made when utilizing grasses? What are the minuses for ornamental grasses? Do you have any "If I had to do it over again..." stories?

I'm in MidAtlantic type zone 6 and would like to try a Low Maintenance landscape for a change. I was thinking it would be nice to use clumping grasses of some as yet undetermined types as a backdrop to the eastern horizon and mix in native/climate tolerant unfussy flowers. I imagine having grassy mounds and flowers interspersed, maybe a few shrubs continuing on, going down a wide steep slope that currently has some sort of grass meant to hold slopes in place that I would have to kill. I DO NOT want to mow like is required now! I wish to know the drawbacks of a plan like this before I plunk down any $$--emphasizing your experience with grasses.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Any downsides would be the same as with any other perennial :-) Ongoing maintenance - the need to cut them back annually, divide occasionally; an ability for some to spread or reseed more than desired; the possibility of some just not thriving, etc. OTOH, routine maintenance like deadheading (unless the freely seeding type), watering after establishment and fertilizing is generally not needed.

I tend to prefer the evergreen species as these generally require even less maintenance and attention than most but a tall clump of a well grown Miscanthus in full fall bloom is hard to resist :-) My current garden just doesn't have enough sun or enough room to support one of these so I tend to focus now on the carexes, which are perhaps my favorite genus of all OG's. But I do use the full assortment of available OG's when I design gardens for clients and in much the same manner you intend - incorporated into a low-maintenance mixed border of shrubs, grasses, perennials and groundcovers.

• grass_guy
    14 years ago

I agree with gardengal, grasses have some of the same maintenance requirement of other perennials.

In addition, I'd advise to plan and place according to mature size. The mistake I see most often is the placement of a small 1 gallon grass in a location that is totally inappropriate for that mature grass.

Also, choose the right grass for the right location. Check zone hardiness carefully, sun/shade and water requirements. Is it a clumping or running grass? Does that particular grass self-seed?

I'd recommend Calamagrostis Karl Foerster, as well as Panicum varieties in your area. Check out the Karl Foerster plantings around BWI.

• terrene
    14 years ago

I love ornamental grasses and have lots of them, especially alot of native prairie and woodland grasses. Overall I've found them to be easy to grow and relatively low maintenance.

The downsides I can think of - some of them get HUGE, can outgrow their position, and become very difficult to transplant or divide. Others get floppy and fall all over their neighbors - this past Spring I gave away 2 large Miscanthus 'Variegatus' because they had gotten huge and would get so floppy they were covering the surrounding perennials, and I was sick of them (although they have pretty foliage). I like to leave the foliage standing through the winter, very ornamental, however the fronds of some will degrade and fall apart, they can get messy and blow around the yard. Occasionally they have gotten attacked by rust.

• achnatherum
    14 years ago

I echo Grass Guys suggestions with the addition of Little Blue Stem - a great grass for a naturalized landscape. Easy care, super drought tolerent & gorgeous fall colour.
    If you want some landscape ideas check out some of the pictures in Rick Darke's 'The colour encyclopedia of ornamental grasses', available in most libraries. He has some great examples of natural plantings. AND I highly recommend looking at Ohme & vanSweden's web site for some ideas. In my opinion, they are THE master's of using ornamental grasses to create 'better than natural' looking landscapes!
    Oh, and on the maintenance downside - if you are going to have a lot of grasses you had better figure out what you are going to do with all the trimmings in the spring when you cut them back. It will amount to quite a bit of material! there are lots of options for that problem but, that is a whole other subject. (which has been commented on before if you care to search the forum)
    a.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohme & vanSweden