Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

real pampas grass

v1rt
15 years ago

I'm aware that the real pampas grass isn't hardy in our area. What if I cut it to the ground and put 10 inches of mulch during winter? Will they make it? Has anyone tried real pampas grass in zone 5?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

Northern IL...not worth trying to grow Cortaderia selloana. Not at all likely to survive, even with a blanket of snow. If it did survive, you'd never get it to bloom before the next frost.

If you want a large grass with showy plumes, try erianthus or a miscanthus.

• kicker
    15 years ago

I've had good luck with it here in zone 4 for some seasons now. The trick is to prevent the roots from freezing, whatever that takes. 10 inches may be enough in a mild winter but I'd suggest more, be sure also to cover at least a 6 foot circle. Wish you luck

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that's really nice to hear kicker. Do you cut it really short as in close to the ground? Also, from the link I attached, it says that gardeners pull it during winter. I think that's fine with me as well. I am very aware that leaves are sharp. So if I will be pulling it out from the ground, can I cut the pampas grass and only leave like 6 inches high?

kicker, do you have a pic on how you protected it before? Please give me more information so that next year, I will know how to protect it. I'm really very interested.

I'm also thinking of buying Cortaderia selloana ÂPumilaÂ. They say that it's more hardy than the Tall Pampas Grass.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cortaderia selloana Pumila

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

kicker, do you have cortaderia selloana, the species? or cortaderia s. 'Pumila'? I find it hard to believe that the species is surviving in zone 4. The species is hardy to zone 7 at best. Pumila will make it to zone 6, 5 with special protection.

Does your grass push any blooms when it comes back?

Pampas grass is also not a grass that can easily be dug and stored. 'Pumila' can work in a container, but the root-ball size is large, so be aware of the task and space required to move and store indoors. A whiskey-barrel half is a great container for planting Pumila.

Best of luck!

• kicker
    15 years ago

Virtuosity.. No I don't cut the leaves back at all, only the stalks of this years plumes. I just push the leaves down and cover them as is and in the spring, there they are, already green and still alive. It's the cortaderias ability to go dormant that makes this possible.BUT the roots and the growing area just above them must not freeze.

Grass guy..The variety 'sunnindale silver' works well for me because it blooms from the end of august til i cover it in early november.It been faithfull every year having up to 120 plumes per year.

I have had 'pumila' survive one winter but lost it the next by not enough protection. this year I try again.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, your sunnindale silver attracted my eyes so much! I will for sure buy one. :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Pampas Grasses

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kicker,

I just push the leaves down and cover them as is and in the spring

cover them with what?

Thanks!

• kicker
    15 years ago

Ok Here's what do..Take your mulch and snuggle it around your plant up a few inches. Go high enough where the leaves aren't "stalky" and you can bend them over easily. Bend them over and add more mulch. I cover this with plastic to keep the mulch dry.

• hoyasahoy
    15 years ago

There are a couple of cultivars taken from high-altitude populations that are said to be hardy to Zone 6: 'Usballata' and 'Patagonia', and (I think) 'Andes Silver.'

I overwintered 'Usballata' two winters here in Boston before experimenting. It still didn't survive without protection, though it was far from full grown.

Don

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I put about only 6" of mulch but I also put pots filled with dirt around it. We'll see, hehehe. I don't care if it dies. In spring, I'll just dry Blood Grass. I like it's white plumes especially when there are many clumps. And also, the shshh sound from these grass when each blade bangs each other is very soothing. I should have taken a picture. It's exactly the picture I posted on my other thread.

Anyways, here is the pampas grass I grew from seed. I'm going to water it with deicer. LOL. :P

• vicarious1
    15 years ago

I have seen MANY Pampa grass flowering with big plumes in Vancouver Canada. I planted 4 in full south position last year TILL NOW I not see anything coming up again.I did cut it down.
    Is that normal or was the -15C and 75cm of snow this year a killer ?
    Anyone ? Thank you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions