Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Hedge of OGs - your recommendations please!

bellarosa
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to find an OG to plant as a hedge on the side of my greenhouse:

{{gwi:870605}}

I'm thinking of either Calamagrostis, Karl Forester or Panicum virgatum (not sure of which variety though).

What would you suggest? I need something that won't flop, can take full sun and dry soil.

The plants in the picture are asters, which I will be moving to another location next year.

Thank you.

Comments (15)

• pezhead
    18 years ago

How tall do you want the hedge to be?? Karl gets to be about 6 feet in flower, Panicum less. I might suggest Miscanthus sinensis 'Graziella' as an upright arching choice. It will top out at about 6' as well in flower but its foliage will be more attractive and refined than Karl. Graziella is zone 5. Miscanthus 'Purpurascens' foliage would probably top out at or just above the wall in your picture and go higher in flower. It is zone 4 but may need more water than you sound prepared to give. Miscanthus s. 'blondo' is supposed to be very cold hardy. Panicums, being better adapted to your conditions may well be the best choice -- perhaps a row of 'Heavy Metal'?

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

I vote for a row of Panicum 'Heavy Metal'

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pezhead and Polly,
    Thank you for the suggestion. Does P. Heavy Metal change colors? I'm looking for something with some red tones. Are there any other varieties of switch grass that you would recommend? As far as watering, you're right, I'm not looking to be a slave to watering in this area especially since its a pain dragging the hoses out to this area.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

If you like red tones, consider Panicum 'Shenandoah' or 'Hanse Hermes'. Both take on distinctly burgandy coloration as the season progresses, generally offering full color by mid-August. See the thread "Can you identify this grass" for a photo of P. Shenandoah' in midsummer color.

• jake
    18 years ago

I agree w/ the Panicum grasses that were suggested. As for watering this is a trick that not many know about or have forgotten.

Take a soaker hose and run it along the grass roots. Leave it there all growing sweason. Now using a quik-Clip hose connection hook up your garden hose turn it on (you know - stroke it gently and other such things).

Get a chair, grab a refreshment, watch the water trickle. Turn off the hose. Watch the grass grow, turn on the hose, grab a chair, 'freshmn't, sit yourself down, get another 'freshm'mmnttt, grab your chair, get fresh, turn on the water,grab yourself, ...

Wake up and see how great your grass has grown.

Jake

• pezhead
    18 years ago

'Heavy Metal' and the other glaucuous Panicums do not, as a rule, get the good fall color. 'Hanse Herms' and 'Shenendoah' are much better for this. The reason I didn't make those suggestions was that they top out even in flower at about 4 feet. I took it you were looking for a bit more height? Graziella maiden grass will give you burgundy fall color and wonderful plumes. The soaker hose might only be needed the first season and only occasionally during the hottest stretches. Schizachryium is another posible choice.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Depends on whether or not you also wish to view the grasses from inside. If so, either the C.x a. 'Karl Foerster (although it is taller in flower) or the Panicum. The Panicum v. 'Shenandoah' is great in full sun; so would be 'Heavy Metal,' 'Dallas Blue,' or a somewhat new one, 'Warrior' (sometimes called 'Squaw,'), which seems to be as red or redder and more purple in flower than 'Shenandoah' or 'H. Herms.' Panicums are a good foot shorter in flower (5') than the 'K. Foerster.'

Another grass, judging by your photo, that would look good there is Achnatherum calamagrostis (aka Stipa c.). Grows to about 3' in flower, with pale green inflorescenses as early as late June. Foliage turns tawny in autumn. Likes moist but well drained soils and full sun.

The 'Karl Foerster' and the Achnatherum are cool-season growers, so they will grow, green-up and flower earlier in the season. Panicums are late starters (warm-season) and tolerate (doesn't mean "prefer") dry conditions, but only once established. Generally, the cultural requirements for these three genera are about the same. [A soaker hose might be useful.] If your summers are hot AND humid, go with Panicum.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. After reading your comments, I'm really leaning towards the Panicum v. Shenandoah.

Can you recommend a mailorder nursery where I can purchase them next year? Also, what are some good companion plants?

Thanks!

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

There appears to be a fine nursery in NW Illinois (zones 4/5) that sells to the public. No mail-order, though. A link to its site is below. Another good nursery, AAA Ornamentals, is in Big Rock, IL; its site is www.hostas.com

There are many nurseries that do sell grasses through mail-order, but few that specialize in ornam.grasses, worse now that Limerock has closed. But earthlypursuits.com and bluestem.ca specialize in grasses and are highly reputable sources.

By the way, I have learned since my last response to your post, that Panicum v. 'Warrior' and 'Squaw' are distinctly different cultivars; they are worth a look, and the Illinois site mentioned describe or show them in their pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instrinsic Perennials, Hebron, IL

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

In my garden, Panicum v Shenandoah which was planted in the fall of 2001 is not as red or as large as the Panicum v Rotstrahlbusch (known as red switch grasss and reported to be the best of the reds) . Shenandoah tops out at about 3'. The 'red switch grass' which was just planted mid summer of 2004 is over 4' much fuller and getting redder everyday. Ordered it from Bluestone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BruMeta,
    Thank you for the information and link. I'm actually very close to Hebron, IL, so I'll have to check them out next year.

Gazania,
    Thank you as well. I've never ordered grasses from Bluestone. Are they relatively large when they arrive?
    I've always ordered perennials from them, but not grasses.
    Also, is it okay to plant grasses in the Fall?

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

Bellarosa, the grasses from Bluestone will be small, but not as small as the perennials. All 3 different kinds of grasses that I ordered from there last summer, and planted in late August have done very well. They are all at/near or larger than their expected mature size. I don't see any problem with planting grasses now or up until late September should be ok.

• mrmorton
    18 years ago

I have a hedge of 'Rotstrahlbusch' Switch grass. With plumes it is about 5-6' tall. Knock a foot off for foliage height. The color is great on this one, but it has serious "floppage" issues. Every time it rains(granted, not very often lately) it falls all over the place. I've considered getting rid of it for this reason.
    By my observations, Shenandoah is a couple feet shorter, but is more upright.
    Personally, I would not use a warm season grass as a hedge unless you don't mind being without a screen for half the year.
    Karl Foerster, while seemingly all over the place nowadays, really is the best choice. Maybe you can plant a row of KF grass with some Shenandoah in front of it. I love the look of different grasses planted next to each other.
    If you are in a Panicum state of mind, I would go with something like 'Dallas Blues' Good color. good height. Not sure about "floppage" though. I haven't had it long enough.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MrMorton,
    Thanks for the info. We think alike! I was thinking of doing one row of KF and adding a few Panicums in front of it. Is P. Shenandoah the same as P. Herms? I've seen it listed this way. Squaw and Warrior both sound interesting as well. Anyway, I will have other plants in this area to allow for seasonal interest.

• linden_ab
    18 years ago

I have panicun 'heavy metal' and 'hanse herms'planted this spring. both about 4 feet tall and doing very nicely, however the 'hans herms' has such outstanding burgundy color in the seed heads and leaves that it would definitely be my first pick. 'Karl foerster' reed grass would also be very nice if you are looking for a lovely green foliage with those outstanding golden seed heads. Saw a photo of a hedge of 'karl' with masses of lavender in front of it, incredible!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions