Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mira97232

Nasella tenuissima - Mexicain Feather Grass - Care

mira97232
17 years ago

I am a new gardener, live in Oregon, love ornamental grasses, and my Mexicain Feather Grass looks awful - can anyone help?

We planted ten in a row on a sunny, western facing slope in early June. (Our neighbors had dug them out and put them in a dumpster. We rescued them the same day). They looked green, light, upright and very beautiful for the first week. We then went away for two weeks. When we returned, they were brown. Looked dead. (Had been watered very little while we were away).

Siince then, and now, 2 and 1/2 months later, they are heaps of heavy, golden-brown, straw-like grass blades splayed out across the slope (dragging on the ground). Look like broken brooms, or inverted mops. Interspersed in among the clumps of gold, are some (just a few) green blades. I tried "brushing" them with my hands to lighten them up a bit in July and just ended up with little poofy seeds all over the ground - which are still everywhere looking messy - web-like, hard to clean up without picking up all the soil as well. There are detached stems lying all around the plants as well.

Did water them regularly this summer - (after the trip) but even if that was a mistake (?) - what can I do now, to make them look better?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any advice.

Comments (3)