Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to save seed for Muhly grass?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 19:26

I have two clumps of pink muhly grass and they are blooming right now. It occurred to me that I might be able to collect seed from these. Can anyone tell me how you know the seed is ready, how to collect it, and how/when to sow? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to save seed for Muhly grass?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 12:40

The seeds will be ripe when the pinkness of the seedheads has fully changed to tan, and the heads are starting to break up. The easiest ready to tell if the time is right is to hold a few seedheads over an open paper bag, and shake them gently. If they fall off into the bag, they're ripe.

I've only winter sown Muhly, and it worked great. You could, however sow them in situ, in late fall. You'll no doubt lose some to rain washing them away and birds eating them, but some will germinate in the spring. In your zone, you may not have to bother sowing them. When I was growing Muhly, I got plenty of volunteers.

o
RE: How to save seed for Muhly grass?

Thank you very much, donn. I searched the web for a couple hours and did not get as good information as you just gave. I will be sowing them in pots for certain. I did find several sources on the web that said to sow them in spring after the last frost. I assume that I should put several seeds to the pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here