Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Autumn Moor Grass - Sesleria autumnalis

marcindy
13 years ago

Hello, I want to raise Autumn Moor Grass (Sesleria autumnalis) from seed. I will need about 20 or 30 plants for a new bed next year and was hoping I could grow them myself. I have access to seed, I think (a large planting near my work, thanks to the City Parks department of Indianapolis) but I have never grown grasses from seed before (shame). I am pretty good at raising most other things from seeds, so I figured it can't be too hard to do this with grass (usually the famous last words in my world!!!). With that in mind, when do I know the seeds are ready to be harvested from the grass? Right now the seed heads are mostly still green, and I remember from last year that they turn a dark chocolate brown (I think...). I figured that would be my clue to harvest them. After that, store the seeds dry and cool and sow them in regular seed mix next spring. Does anybody know when Sesleria seed is ready to be harvested? Any suggestions for improving my success with the seed next spring? Thanks in advance from a grass-seed-harvesting-and-growing-challenged gardener...:-)

Comments (2)

Sponsored