Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Moor Grass - Sesleria autumnalis

Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 19:32

Hello, I want to raise Autumn Moor Grass (Sesleria autumnalis) from seed. I will need about 20 or 30 plants for a new bed next year and was hoping I could grow them myself. I have access to seed, I think (a large planting near my work, thanks to the City Parks department of Indianapolis) but I have never grown grasses from seed before (shame). I am pretty good at raising most other things from seeds, so I figured it can't be too hard to do this with grass (usually the famous last words in my world!!!). With that in mind, when do I know the seeds are ready to be harvested from the grass? Right now the seed heads are mostly still green, and I remember from last year that they turn a dark chocolate brown (I think...). I figured that would be my clue to harvest them. After that, store the seeds dry and cool and sow them in regular seed mix next spring. Does anybody know when Sesleria seed is ready to be harvested? Any suggestions for improving my success with the seed next spring? Thanks in advance from a grass-seed-harvesting-and-growing-challenged gardener...:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Moor Grass - Sesleria autumnalis

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 6:03

I've never grown this one, from seed or from plant, but there are a couple of tried and true general rules for knowing when to harvest ornamental grass seed.

The most foolproof way to tell is to take a brown paper grocery bag out, bend a seed head or three over so they are inside the bag, and shake them. If the seeds/carriers fall off into the bag, they are ready.

The other way to tell is when the stalk immediately under the seed head has turned brown.

To determine if a type of grass can be grown from seed, I usually check Jelitto first. They are the premier seed house in the world, and usually, if the grass can be grown successfully from seed, they will have the seeds.

https://www.jelitto.com/haupt_en.html

They list 6 Sesleria seeds, but not autumnalis.

I'd suggest you try winter sowing some of the seed. If you are unfamiliar with the process, check out the Winter Sowing Forum.

o
RE: Autumn Moor Grass - Sesleria autumnalis

• Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 18:53

Donn, thanks for the advice. I had planned to sow some seeds now to let winter work its magic and also sow some of the seeds in spring. I'll be curious to see what happens. Thanks again for your response.
M.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here