Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elskunkito

PNW needs fall advice

elskunkito
16 years ago

She Who Must be Obeyed want ornamental grass alkong the driveway.

I know nothing of ornnamental grass.

In order preference

Must be able to be planted this fall

seeds easily available

2' or less tall, not including seeds stalks

some nice color other than green. white or blue preffered. Lighter colors preffered.

has tassels on the top

Smells nice when cut

not expensive

perrenial prefferened

planting are is medium sun, 50/50 sand compost mix.

Zone 7, Seattle area. Wet winters.

I am willing to plant something OK this year and pull it out and plant something perfect next year.

Suggestions?

Where do I get the seeds?

I need about 100' x 1' wide row in clumps spaced about a foot apart.

Comments (3)

• donn_
    16 years ago

You've given us an almost impossible list of requirements. Chances are, nothing you start this fall by direct sowing seeds, will even think about germinating until the spring, and that's only if they survive the elements this winter, and don't get (A) eaten by birds, (B) washed away by winter rains, or (C) rotted by your winter climate. If you had started a month ago, and sown some Blue Fescue seeds in little pots, with care and protection you'd have small seedlings you could plant out now.

Consider another option, if you must start now. Buy either plugs or grass, or bareroot grasses, and plant them in the strip. Festuca glauca and Helictotrichon sempervirens are good options. They're both small, blue and will do well in your climate and exposure.

Take a look at them, and other offerings at Northwest Bulb & Perennial. They sell bareroot grasses in bags of 25, with a minimum order of $100. At that minimum order, you'll be able to fill that space this fall, and next spring it'll look spectacular.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I agree seeding now is not an option. Many nurseries in the area are having fall planting sales and the selection of ornamental grasses at this time of year is very large and prices good. In addition to the two blues Donn mentions, I'd consider Deschampsia caespitosa 'Northern Lights' (semi to mostly evergreen in our climate and prefers moister conditions), Molinia caerulea 'Variegata' (variegated purple moor grass - deciduous) or Anemanthele lessoniana (Pheasant tail or NZ wind grass). These all should be roughly within the size limitations and offer a range of coloring tending towards the pastel, except for the Anemanthele, which is more or less green during the primary growing season but colors up in fall in shades of orange, copper and gold. Red seed heads but very delicate. And is "evergreen" to boot. A wonderful soft, textural accent to the garden.

btw, the anemanthele is hardier than most literature indicates. It winters fine in a Puget Sound zone 7, but if you are in Seattle proper or close to it (ie., away from the foothills) then you are zone 8 and should be good to go without worry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemanthele

• elskunkito
    Original Author
    16 years ago

> Consider another option
    Considered.
    Thanks for the advice and the suggestions

Now that seeds are out, of the five suggestions, I'm having a hard time choosing between these two fellers
    Festuca glauca
    Anemanthele lessoniana

Due to size and price Festuca is the current front runner.
    But dang, that gold and purple is nice...

I live in the foot hills of the foot hills of the cascades.
    Winter comes about 2 weeks earlier here than in seattle.

Thanks again.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA