Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creamgogo

which silver plume grasses do you love

creamgogo
18 years ago

i know there was autumn light and something called ravenna, i think. i can't remember all the names. it seems they had quite a few different kinds that one was nicer than the next. they also had shennedoah switch grass and heavy metal switch grass (those names may not be right, as i got so overwhelmed and was grabbing at everything that moved in the wind!!) please advise which you love and if they're best planted in the fall of the year.....one of those silver grasses was so beautiful, it almost takes your breath away. lmk what you think, as i'm headed back tomorrow!!

cream

Comment (1)

• pezhead
    18 years ago

If you love grasses, pick up a copy of Rick Darke's Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses and take it with you as you go shopping. Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah' is purported to be very nice. I have 'Hanse Herms' and love it. I've seen a mature 'Autum Light' Miscanthus and it was huge and beautiful. Ravenna grass gets a large basal mound and then sends up very tall flowers late in the season to about 14'. It is hardy to Zone 6. I have and enjoy Miscanthus sinensis 'Graziella', 'Morning Light', 'Adagio', 'Arabesque', 'Strictus'. There are so many really and all have merit! It's really what strikes you as wonderful that makes the difference. This is the best time to see both foliage and flower -- some have yet to flower. Go with what is hardy in your area and with what makes you happy!

Sponsored
More Discussions