Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Pampas Grass (Saccharum ravennae) in z5

Posted by green_go z5a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:47

Does anyone have any experience with growing this grass in zone 5?
Will it flower in our zone?
I have seen today this grass in our local nursery and it stopped me in my tracks: a relatively short grass (maybe, 4-5 ft. tall) with flower stalks no less than 15 ft.! Wow, I must have it! (but only if it will flower in our climate)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Pampas Grass (Saccharum ravennae) in z5

If you search GardenWeb for "Ravenna" you'll find several posts from zone 5 folks who grow it, and report it blooming just fine.

o

Well, if you don't see the plant growing around your area, makes one wonder why it is not common. Very common in Ohio in tradition zone 5B, 40 degree N latitude.

Took a pic in my backyard right now 11:45pm. Yes, it has flowered.

o

I live in zone 5 and it grows very well here. However, ours gets upwards of 10 feet tall. You can also wintersow those seed heads. I wintersowed 30 one gallon milk jugs last winter and its growing like crazy. Do you know how much it would cost to buy that many starts. I'm planning on doing as many as possible this winter as I LOVE ornamental grass.

o

bookjunky...30 clumps of Ravenna Grass, and you're going to sow more?! You must have a really big place.

A tip. It's really easy to divide 2-year Ravenna clumps, and you'll be way ahead in size compared to starting more from seed. You can make at least 4 divisions from a 2-year old.

o

donn - I live on the family farm, five acres on my side of the road, probably three directly across the road, lots of room and things to hide with the grass. Plus, I love ornamental grass so can you really have too much :-)

I have gotten divisions from my family before (which is where I stole the seed heads from) but they really don't like to reduce the size of their clumps too often. My dad has like a couple hundred foot long row of it and it looks awesome.

o

Thank you for the info, guys!
It is done! I found in our local nursery a plant for $3 in the "Clearance" section, the label said "Erianthus ravennae 'Saccharum'"
I assume, this is the same as Saccharum ravennae?
It is not great looking plant (for that price!), but alive. I will probably plant it in a bigger container and overwinter it in the basement and then I will plant it in the ground in spring.

o

Yep. It's the same plant. It's older name is Erianthus ravennae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here