Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
umbrella grass anybody have any ?

Posted by tutti2006 7-TN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 22:36

I saw a grass that someone told me it was umbrella grass. It was in someones yard. I didn't know so I couldn't ask.( SOME PEOPLE THINK YOUR A DANGER ).so I didn't ask. It was beautiful I would like to buy some if that is what it is.Does anyone also have a picture of any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: umbrella grass anybody have any ?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 7:45

Umbrella grass is one of the common names for Cyperus. It's not really a grass, but has some common characteristics of grass.

Cyperus is typically a tropical perennial, seldom hardy below zone 8, but there is at least one variety, Cyperus albostriatus Variegatus, which is rumored to be hardy to 7b. I'm testing it this year, so I'll see how it does. I'm going to leave some in the ground, and bring a couple indoors for winter, as it is also a popular houseplant.

You can find plenty of photos using Google Images.

o

When I Googled the umbreaal grass I found Egyptian Papyrus. I have some if you would like some for postage let me know. It goes by many names. It is called umbrella papyrus. It will grow in or near water or anywhere else. The cold kills it back here in zone 8b but it comes back every spring. I can send you some cuttings with rooting directions. It is the easiest thing I have ever rooted. Email me.

o

Is this the plant you saw?

Here is a link that might be useful: cyperus alternifolius

o

grass guy, it looks alot like what I saw but it wasn't in water. It was planted in a flower bed.

o

Doesn't have to be in a pond, but does prefer wet toes to keep looking nice.

o

I have some green Cyperus that looks just like the link above, here in zone 7b/8. I have had it for about four or five years. It's tough. Mine is in a mixed woodland border and gets moisture from the path the air conditioning trickle takes, but is at least 6 to 8 feet from the source. I have not had a hard winter in several years and I do mulch heavily.

o

I have had it growing in my yard now for 6 years and there is no pond or anything else like that. It is also called Egyptian Papyrus. Why two different names I do not know.

o

Cyperus and Papyrus are two different plants. They are similar in that they will both grow in standing water and they are both tropical but they aren't the same plants.

Here is a picture showing both of them, side by side in my greenhouse pond. Egyptian Papyrus on the left, Cyperus on the right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here