Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for OG in front of privacy fence.

Posted by joefalco z8 MB SC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 07 at 22:37

I have a privacy fence that is about 25' feet long and it borders the road and a slope (drainage ditch)

I was thinking about planting the whole length with some OG because it is narrow and very hard to mow must be weed whacked.

I was thinking OG would look good and be maintanance free. What would you all suggest?

I was thinking Pampas Grass but it is So common here I would prefer something a little different. I would need something that is thick and out competed all weeds.

Thanks for suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for OG in front of privacy fence.

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 6:29

My favorite weed-suppressing ornamental grass is Pennisetum. The thick fountain-shaped canopy of foliage almost completely prevents weed growth under it. Those weeds which manage to grow, can't be seen.

Still, to be certain, your best bet would be to skin off the sod, and put down a layer of landscape fabric. Then plant your new grasses through holes in the fabric, and cover it all with a thick layer of mulch. After that, your only maintenance would be an annual haircut for the OG.

Here's a 'hedge' of Pennisetum in my front yard:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry,' with 8 plants in a 20' line, and Blue Fescue and Mexican Feather Grass in front of it. This species tops out at 3' to the blooms, but there are others which get a bit taller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here