Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IS this Hardy Pampas Grass?

Posted by silver8ack 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 23:21

I have a couple large hardy pampas grass in my backyard. I'm looking to propagate them but I believe it's doing the job for me. I have a few small pampas growing in a few areas but this one looks weird. Just wondering if these seed heads are from the pampas or something else entwined. I want to move this if it is indeed hardy pampas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IS this Hardy Pampas Grass?

I have two of them. The picture you show does look like the ones I have, particularly the leaf shape and color varigation. My hardy pampas grass are huge.
Vivian

o

The photo is of Yellow Nutsedge (Cyperus esculentus), one of the most invasive plants on Earth.

o

Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana) is only hardy to zone 7 so whatever Vivian is growing, it is NOT pampas....most likely the cold climate substitute, Ravenna grass or Saccharum ravennae. I agree with Donn about the ID of the photo - definitely nutsedge (which only gets to about a quarter of the size of pampas grass, if that).

o

Oh crap. I would've ripped this out if I knew it was nutsedge. I had no idea it could grow this tall. It's about 3 feet now. Is it possible it's pampas mixed with nutsedge? The seed heads aren't as tall as the rest of the plant. And the stems are hairy like my big pampas plants (which are about 12-13 feet tall now.

I have 3 other "baby" pampas that are about 4' right now with none of these seed heads. At least I was fairly certain they were pampas. I'll take some pics.

Also, I'm talking about hardy pampas, not the regular pampas.

o

Looking at a larger view of your image this is definitely a combination of nutsedge & another grass - most likely your 'hardy pampas grass' aka Erianthus ravennae
Leaf: pale green & creased = nutsedge
Leaf: darker green with white stripe = probably Miscanthus spp. or Erianthus.

o

Be very very careful pulling up the nutsedge. It forms little tubers on its rhizomes (the 'nut' in nutsedge) which will become a new plant if left in the soil.

photo nutsedge2.jpg

I dig them up and sift the soil to catch all the 'nuts.' As you can see in the photo, even small plants can have long far-reaching rhizomes.

o

Gardengal, you are correct. The one I have is called "Hardy Pampas Grass Erianthus ravennae". It is good for Zone 4. Regular Pampas Grass is not hardy for my Zone 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here