Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing: Porcupine Grass

Posted by roc_ii zone 5, IL (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 23:28

I planted porcupine grass in my deck boxes earlier this summer and they have really thrived- both in height and filling in. They provide great cover for my deck and I was wondering how I should protect it during the chicago winters.

Should I expect it to die back to the ground?

Do I need to wrap the first few feet (bubble wrap?) to give the grass structural support from the snow and wind?

Should I try to water it during the winter?

Thanks for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing: Porcupine Grass

Whatever winter problems you have will be with the root exposure to cold in the boxes. (If they were in the ground, you'd need to do nothing at all.) You could try wrapping the boxes. Don't forget the bottoms if they are exposed to air rather than sitting on the ground. The grass will die back and in early spring you'll cut them back.

o
RE: Winterizing: Porcupine Grass

You have two choices since this is a plant which can survive down to Zone 5....

1. Replant the grasses in the ground....risky but could work if you do it now.

2. Leave them in their pots and hope for the best.

Generally when expecting a plant to survive in a pot, choose something that is at least hardy to 2 zones below your own....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here