Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooms of Autumn Light and Gracillimus

Posted by Strictus Iowa - 4a / 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 23:44

Last year I planted some 2 Gracillimus and 1 Autumn Light that I was given pieces off of each from my BIL.

My problem is that I cannot tell yet which ones are which.
Both look to me like the slender leafed Gracillimus.

With blooms around the corner, I was just wondering if theres anything obvious I need to look for when they do bloom so I can be sure.

Any info would be appreciated.....

Strictus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooms of Autumn Light and Gracillimus

Hi, I'm going to try to help, although there are a lot more knowledgeable about grasses than I am. Autumn Light should have blades about 5/8 in wide, and Gracillimus about 1/4 in wide. I don't know if that would vary due to the youth of the plant. The inflorescens on Gracillimus to me appear to be dark pink, almost burgandy, where the ones on Autumn Light are dark bronzy. I note in my plants in gallon containers the Autumn Light is definitely wider bladed. Polly

o

• Posted by Jake z4b-5 NE (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 13:58

Strictus -

How can one live in Kentucky and have Iowa 4a / 5b climate zones?

What happened to 4b, 5 and 5a zones?

Jake

o

oops....

got the a and b's in the wrong places there didnt I !!!???

Guess I better edit my profile...Im not in KY either ???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here